TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 10:07pm
Well, another year rolls around and we are on the doorstep for Auburn.  The shop is closing up for the week as my wife and I celebrate our 30 year anniversary with a car show tacked onto the end.  LOL  what a sweetheart she is - make sure to stop by our tent in the swap meet on Friday and say hello.

Lots of work in many directions lately, trying to keep all the balls in the air to keep things on track time wise.  Using all my engineering project management skills at the moment to nail this journey in time!

The front coil springs were completed since last report, and are 100% ready for re-install:

On careful cleaning and inspection of the right spring, found that the blue strip went end to end.  On the left spring it only went about 6 coils, so the redo stayed faithful to this car.

I got Eric out in the shop to help with the sound deadener project since this will be a process he repeats on his own projects in the future.  Doing this job right is time consuming, but its been fun to watch it developing.  Still have the front floor boards to finish after Auburn.

The engine bay continues to populate.  The ebrake cable is through the firewall and back the floor.  I need to install the NOS speedo cable next.

My friend Bruce has been polishing the stainless for the car, Hurst has the shifter assembly, FASTNASH has the engine getting very close, QUAL KROME has the (5) small pieces I needed to have rechromed in process (everything else is NOS!), my lower control arms just came back from riveting, and the upper control arms with new bushings will be back next month.  My new SMS door panels arrived at the end of May, so many things are coming together quickly now.

I just started teardown of the airpump / brackets for restoration.  The pulley and the (2) brackets have just completed semi-gloss black powdercoat.  The brackets were rough and shouldn't have been used for powder coat, but they look very nice now.  I think I am finally getting close to mastering the double powder coat with a second hot coat process... a necessary part of powder coating rust pitted parts and getting them smooth.  Photos of that resurrection process next time.

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 7:53am
Congratulations on the 30 year anniversary...…...
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
B Pitt View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote B Pitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 11:35am
I hope that's date coded sound deadener! Wink
It was great to talk to you at the show! Keep up the good work!

Brooke
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 4:07pm
Brooke - great to finally meet you as well.

Yes, I think I got material close on date code....

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2018 at 9:57pm
Awesome restoration. And I know I dont have the skills like you do. I met you at auburn, and bought a few things too...
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2018 at 10:30pm
After spending the whole day primer sanding the fan shroud and flex fan for final painting later this week when the heat/humidity breaks, I needed to do something that made me feel like I moved the needle.  I wanted to see my splash shields applied that I had restored a year ago and boxed up.  Step one was to install the "Rambler" nameplates on the front fenders:

The car now has a model name!  Woohoo.

But the big payoff was the splash shield tonight.  This looks super sharp in high detail form on the car.
Special thanks to TYPHOONER for supplying some much needed extra hex head metal screws for attaching the shields to the body.

This is what correctly detailed splash shields should look like.  If you are doing a paint only undercarriage - this is the only correct look.  Show judges should take note as I see a lot of variation on examples at shows.

Overlayed on top of correct overspray patterns and now the car is starting to come to life as envisioned!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 5:32am
You're going to have a show winner when that thing's done at this rate.  SmileThumbs Up
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 7:35am
Well, no judging for this car... So no it won't be a show winner. I stopped chasing awards in the early 90s. This car will only chase smiles. I want all those 10 - 12 year olds out there to dream of having something cool and old rather than just their new I-phone....
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Well, no judging for this car... So no it won't be a show winner. I stopped chasing awards in the early 90s. This car will only chase smiles. I want all those 10 - 12 year olds out there to dream of having something cool and old rather than just their new I-phone....

My hero!

Judging is subjective and who on this planet has this level of expertise to evaluate this detail. Inspirational on the recreation of the warts and all...is a study on staying committed to originality.

Drive' em for smiles and not for piles (trophies)
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2018 at 11:12am
Kevin,  I know it's not quite finished yet, but I think you owe it to yourself to put it through at least one round of judging in AACA classes or one of the Mopar show classes while the restoration is "young" and before you ever start driving it (if ever).  Do some magazine photo shoots to so that the car gets exposure.  Just my 2 cents.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 95>
  Share Topic