TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 3:27pm
Sorry guys - I can't afford to waste that much 2 part urethane to dip the fan in!  LOL Wink  It will get a spray gun 80% gloss coat shortly!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 3:54pm
I've heard paint dipped parts were done with very little actual paint. Supposedly they would have a large tank filled with water, then float a thin layer of paint on top of the water. Next the parts were slowly lowered into the tank, thru the paint, then pulled out. The paint would stick to the part, & the water would stay off the part. Not sure if this is true or not, I've never tried it myself.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 5:46pm
That process could only coat one side of a simple part, and complex parts would see some areas missed, but wet. If you laid in a pretty flat or simple part I could see it - but the paint on the surface of the water hits the first thing that comes down in that exact spot, at those coordinates, anything later gets only water because the paint is gone.
Now sure how that could work.................
How about a round metal rod - laying flat the bottom contacts the paint but what about the top part of the rod?
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I've said it before, but this is one awesome restoration!

BTW, I media blasted my fan-- blades and all-- three years ago and have had no issues.

So did I  - 12 years and 8 thousand miles ago.
Steel doesn't work-harden like copper, brass, etc. so I wasn't really concerned about it.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Sure looks like the starter factory black finish was very hit or miss. Probably varied from unit to unit, shift to shift or day to day and any combination thereof. You know this sort of thing didn't matter back in those days. Would you agree though that the engine color had to be sprayed on when the starter was already installed on the engine so the nose would not have received engine color. We know for sure that the 390's with the chrome valve covers were sprayed with the covers in place. Word has it that there were temporary covers placed over the chrome covers when the engines were painted. Most 390's I've ever seen including my first 69 that I bought new had some engine color around the edges of the covers.

Yes, the starters were on the engine when it was painted. You can also see this in the AMX story picture. I have a 67 factory starter and it shows no sign of black paint, only the gold/copper engine paint; it's really clean, from TX / CA. 68-70 from what I've seen were painted black at the vendor as said.

On the engine fans, they were fairly glossy black and dipped at the vendor.

I just did an all-original starter from June, 1968 - black under the blue but the black was really really thin and they missed some areas. I used solvents, acetone and razor blades on this one, too.
The info I posted earlier about Ford/Autolite/Motorcraft starters was actually from well before 1970 so if they were not painted prior to 68 then it was done special that way for AMC - because those that went on Ford cars were indeed black. I have some from after 1970, also black under the gunk.
When this month is over I'll pull some off the shelf and dig into the ones before and after 68-70 to confirm. 

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2018 at 1:28pm
On blasting the fan, yes be careful. But no way you'll affect the temper with a siphon blaster. You'd have to exceed 300F- and your gloves would melt way before that point. And you'd have 3rd degree burns Underhood temps can exceed 200F which isn't an issue.

We had two dip lines at a place I worked and it was all paint, not paint floated on water. I've heard you can reproduce it with paint on water though. I just threw that out as an FYI, no one is going to waste $1000 of paint on a fan   
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 10:15pm
I strongly doubt any ordinary blast cabinet will hurt a fan. Destruction of parts by blasting is almost always pressure and industrial blasters. My compressor came from a business that blasted car parts of all kinds including body parts. I even blasted hood and other parts of my 70 with no far or damage. I once painted a 1950 1 ton chevy pickup that had been 100% blasted to remove all paint and most rust. No warping or damage.
Wahoo.....sort of have some slow internet for a while in fairbanks!

Just put some heavy drip spots on the fan to make it appear dipped.........
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 11:50pm
Kevin, you have been so meticulous are recreating every factory procedure and markings during your restoration.

Here is an idea for your fan;

Get a shallow bowl wide enough to fit one fan blade tip at a time. Get your paint mixed into your spray gun and ready to spray. Pour enough paint into the bowl to fill the bowl about 1" deep. Dip the tip of each blade of the fan into the bowl, then immediately hang up the fan and spray away. Let the drips fall as they may. Wink
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2018 at 11:59pm
When I restore isolation diodes I often spray to run and then hang them so the paint runs to one end and begins to form a heavy spot but not quite to drip. They were dipped originally - the output bolt and nut were masked with tape, they were dipped then when dry they were machined for electrical contact with the nuts below the heat sink when installed.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by 69BBB3904spAMX 69BBB3904spAMX wrote:

Kevin, you have been so meticulous are recreating every factory procedure and markings during your restoration.

Here is an idea for your fan;

Get a shallow bowl wide enough to fit one fan blade tip at a time. Get your paint mixed into your spray gun and ready to spray. Pour enough paint into the bowl to fill the bowl about 1" deep. Dip the tip of each blade of the fan into the bowl, then immediately hang up the fan and spray away. Let the drips fall as they may. Wink

I'm sure with the single stage urethane I won't have any trouble getting the obligatory "factory" run somewhere on that odd shaped fan!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8384858687 95>
  Share Topic