TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2017 at 8:48am
I would never have guessed that you could set tubular rivets with a roll pin punch.  Good show. Thumbs Up
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 10:59pm
Haven't posted for a little while, but I have been busy on the car.  Working hard to make good progress every week.

The master cyl - brake booster assembly is final painted now in urethane semi gloss black.

What we started with (yuck):

Where we are now:

I had promised to discuss why I had assembled the "bare" steel rod to the bracket assembly as seen in an earlier post.

Well, the original assembly was COMPLETELY assembled with bolts and boots, etc. and then painted black.  The firewall boot covered a portion of the bare steel rod when it was sprayed leaving it bare metal to rust, and the black paint did not go the whole way back to the connection on the dash side - see original picture below:

So to make it as close as possible, I did the stainless steel paint work, assembled, set the boot for paint position and let the black spray do the rest.  Should look very close to original.

The brackets were also finely detailed so I can get this thing hung very soon.  They were originally bare steel that got rust patina, with the pressed in studs being black phosphate coated.  I black phosphate coated the entire bracket, then masked and sprayed the stainless steel paint on the bracket.  Looks very legit.

I have some minor details to do on the brake booster assy and then it goes on the car!

Next up is the steering column.  The charcoal interior paint just hit the top area of the assembly - semi gloss black covered the rest of the painted surfaces.  

The steering shaft was bare metal, but the major ODs have a dull darker grey bare metal finish.  rummaging through my paint bag of tricks - I determined that the shaft best matches original with Eastwood bare steel grey.  

I found pink, black and orange-red paint sprays on the steering shaft itself.  No ideas why so many colors...  They are all up inside so no one sees them really.

"Cut" metal surfaces like the broached spline end would have been shinier bare metal look when new.  On all steering items on the car, I will be deploying the following process on surfaces that are cut / machined.  I glass bead blasted the shaft end and then used my Eastwood tin-zinc plating kit to coat the whole end of the shaft.  I did the same with the entire mating coupler.  These will be appropriately masked and painted to look like the bare metal pieces they were new. However, the varying colorized cut surfaces will give a true sense of realism, while making sure no rust bleed occurs long term.  Pictures next week will show the finished product!

The outer column tube has a Julian calendar date.  Hard to see in my photo  It is stamped "A  9  114"

This would be April 24  - about a month in front of the car.

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 11:54pm
Very nice, Kevin.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 12:39am
Kevin, is that a collapsible steering column? What years will work in a '65 american? The one in my car scares me a bit.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 7:18am
Good question.... I can't remember if they started collapsable in 67 or 68. Thinking it through they should fit position and lengthwise up thru 69. But you may also have to grab a steering box from a later car as I am not sure if the coupler position is exact same spot or not. Let us know on a project blog how a swap works if you do it!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 8:42am
Mopar started in '67 with the collapsible column in response to a Federal mandate so I would ASSUME AMC did likewise.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

Mopar started in '67 with the collapsible column in response to a Federal mandate so I would ASSUME AMC did likewise.

does anyone know for sure if that column will fit in a 64 65 body
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2017 at 9:47pm
Thumbs Up
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Eugor View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eugor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 10:11am
Not 100% on actual fitting to dash, but I'm pretty sure there is no coupler on the early steering boxes. The input shaft runs all the way up to the steering wheel (part of the steering box). I think the firewall mounting area is different as well, but it's been a long time since I looked at a 64-65.

I do remember those steering wheels being a particular pain to remove.
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2017 at 12:22pm
Looking pretty good for a guy who has only restored one sc/rambler!
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 95>
  Share Topic