TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2017 at 7:30am
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

....One of the sub-projects on this job was to source factory looking wear pads.  I modeled the original design in a 3D CAD package and ultimately had (12) pads made by a 3D printing service in a process called SLS.  Parts are a solid and durable Black Nylon:...

Pity you didn't have more made.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 8:59am
The month of June and Gettysburg have flown by and are already getting smaller in the rear view mirror.  After spending a month getting ready for the show and vending,  I came home from Gettysburg to a big box delivered with my freshly rebuild brake booster and some replated hardware from Bob's Boosters.  Bob did it just as I asked - he fully rebuilt the unit and bead blasted the outside for me to finish here.  Leakage over the years from the master cylinder had rusted the outer surface and it needed a lot of work.  It was time to get back on the car.

Apparently the kits for the "RA1" Bendix units are getting harder to find.  Bob said he picked up several additional kits during his search for mine, so if anyone wants to get one done, I can get you in contact with him.

The complete master cyclinder - booster, bracket system were assembled and painted semi-gloss black before assembly on the car, so I tore down the bracket system at the same time here to do epoxy priming work.  When I tore down the bellcrank assembly, I found plastic bushings like the ones on the clutch - brake pedal assemblies only a different size.  The parts book says these were only used in 1970, but it looks like they changed over earlier than that.  Mine were sliced on the hat, so I had to go out and locate some of those to be able to re-assemble.  Fun fun.

Lots of sanding on the booster to get it looking new again.  It's now under a final coat of primer and assembled onto the bracket awaiting final paint.  (I now need to send the master cylinder out to White Post Restorations to get it sleeved and rebuilt due to cylinder pitting.)

Fresh plastic bushing and bracket - bellcrank reassembly:

I'll explain why the rod is bare metal finish at a later time when I fully finish paint the assembly.

Yesterday I was working on bolting up the new stainless fuel line purchased from Inline Tube a few years back.  Surprise surprise, just like the rear brake lines, then bends aren't right and causing me a great deal of pain.  A message to the companies that make these products for us:  This is not the game of horse shoes - close is not good enough.  If these bends are perfect - they don't fit - the factory didn't give us extra room - get them right or don't sell them!

The distance to the bend up in the hump area is too long - won't fit in the narrow gap the factory intended:

I think I will ultimately get this to mount up, but it won't fit like the factory did, and that bothers me.  Tube buyers beware....  Learn from my pain....

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 1:13pm
Kevin! You are still not done?!?! Been forever since I've been around, Hope you are well.
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Ant Ant wrote:

Kevin! You are still not done?!?! Been forever since I've been around, Hope you are well.

Ant - wondered where you wandered off to!  Yes I'm still working on it!

After visiting the Hurst show in Carlisle with the great group of SC/R owners, I got a few things done this past week.

I kept fighting with the fuel line, it's installed , but still need a final tweek at the front apron entrance to the engine bay - the grommet is all torqued.  I was happy to be able to button up the fuel line to gas tank and install the repop fuel line heat shield.  Starting to get the look of exactly what the cars looked like just before the undercoat/sound deadener was applied to the cars.  The goal is to present the car with that just pre-undercoat factory finishes.

Up front I was able to install the restored fuel line cover in the shock tower.  Happy with the look!

I finally took a few hours the other evening and finished the other splash shield - these turn out better than I expected - very fresh looking and ready to install at a point a little later down the road.

Time to start packing for Kenosha.  Hoping to bring home a few last treasures to finish this car and meet everyone again!

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
401ton View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401ton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 9:13pm
Awesome restoration!  I'm going to use your thread as a resource for my own where I can.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2017 at 9:39pm
No progress report tonight.  The past week or so has been a whirlwind of events in attending the Kenosha Homecoming.  What an event.  It was great to see so many of you, but then I also missed a number of you as well - either not at your car, or just too much going on.

Now home and recalling the event with wonderful memories, and starting to catalog the Kenosha treasures.  The Thursday yardsales were my favorite - driving around, stopping in, talking to people, diving into boxes, finding great stuff - and the weather - the best ever July show weather I have ever had in 35 years of show going.

I wanted to take a little time here to just send out my own "Cheers".  My son Eric (rick_chase) attended with me again this year as our summer road guy trip.  In the weeks leading up to the event, I was struggling more and more with achilles tendonitis (heading for a cast tomorrow... Cry  ), and having a really hard time walking.  Eric took care of dad for the trip and made it extra special for me.  it was good to see Eric digging through boxes for us and looking for the pieces that can help in finishing the car.

Joining us in Kenosha was FASTNASH and his son, Nash.  Thursday was a great training day for the boys and it was a joy to watch and help them as they dug through the endless pile of Bob Reno's NOS moldings and learned the art of AMC shopping - it's not the instant gratification of a parts catalog and a credit card; AMC's are a piece by piece treasure hunt.  It was awesome that the boys pulled out (2) great trim parts from the pile - one for my 64 990H that I've looked for 21 years for!  Thought I had a photo of both boys digging at Bob's but it looks like I just caught Eric, Nash was just to my left as they dug through the pile.  I think the next generation of AMCers is in great hands.  Thank you both Eric and Nash for spending the time with your dads.  We will cherish the memories forever.

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 10:03pm
Well, I am about half way into this one month left leg cast trying to heal my left achilles tendon right now and going absolutely crazy.  A walking cast is a misnomer.  Staying off my feet and in the A/C is the best options right now.

trying to pass the time productively and getting a full day in at work is tiresome right now.  I have setup shop on the back porch which we can provide some modest air conditioning to and working on cataloging, and cleaning the parts haul from Kenosha and starting to work on the dash assembly.

First the parts haul.  got some really great stuff for the Scrambler in Kenosha.  Still hunting for a few ultra rare parts but very happy with the items I picked up.  Spreading out the smalls filled up a table top for cataloging:

Of special note is some original NOS Q clamps, NOS U-bolts (I needed one more), original vacuum hose, NOS front flex brake lines, NOS front coil spring bumpers, NOS V-belts, NOS (and used) complete headlight switch assemblies, a perfect heater control bezel, and awesome original rear ash trays, correct NOS part numbered PVC valve and a bunch of hardware trinkets.

One of the belts was a factory install issue embossed alternator belt

These used ash trays looked NOS - chrome and zinc was perfect and paint on the front is so nice I just cleaned them and they are ready for install.

This bezel was a late Friday pick at the flea market - just dirty but you could see that the chrome was really nice underneath - a careful cleaning and this thing is mint - I think I will try touching in the "E" on the "DEF" button and call it ready.  This was another 50% better than the best of my home inventory so on it goes!  The above (4) pieces: $25 total!  There were some really good buys out there if you were scouting hard!

Moving onto the dash - I completed a thorough cleaning and installed new temp and fuel gauges yesterday and put in new bulbs.  Interesting how the later gauges got much better protected boxes for replacement parts than those little brown cardboard containers of earlier 60s.

Of curious note, the temp gauge had white paint on the base underneath, when I took off the gas gauge, there was bare metal underneath from a paint mask.  Wonder why?  Couldn't be for grounding because the whole back side of the gauge has an insulator on it....  One of those mysteries!

Working on the dash assembly I realized that I had not picked up any orange needle paint yet and had to order some in, so final install on the bezel can't happen until I get the speedo needle restored later this week, but the rest is ready.

I've now moved onto the bezel pod and getting the pod inserts finalized.  The clear lenses are all polished and ready, but I hit a bit of a speed bump on the red idiot light lenses.  The AMARK kit I bought that is good for AMX - JAV, wasn't quite what Americans need.  The green is sized ok for turnsignals, but the red lamp lens is too small.  Working with AMARK now with "American" sizes to help the rest of all you out there for a future new product, but to keep forging ahead while in this cast, I pulled the junk set of turnsignal pods and did the best restoration work I could.  Stewart Warner installed the colored lenses with clear tape that isn't clear or tape anymore, and is hard fused to the back of the colored lenses.  The red lenses happened to have good color and no cracks so I cleaned off as much tape as I could and then used 5000 grit wet sanding pads to take down the surface a thousandth or two to clean them up.  The sheen level worked out to be perfect from the 5000 grit and the lenses look very close to being new again.  They will get installed this week.

Restored lenses look good enough to re-install now.  Moving on!

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
BlueJeep View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueJeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 10:32am
This build is a great reference, thank you for that!  The pictures with the quarters off are extremely helpful in understanding what all is beneath the skins, and how it was put together originally.

Looks fantastic!
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 9:53pm
Glad it is of help BlueJeep!

For those that follow this thread regularly, you know that I sometimes take a timeout to share some details and services of others that have been engaged in the project.  Tonight, I want to share with you the efforts of one of our forum founders.  This sub-project started a year ago at Rockford when I handed over my NOS wiper motor and my original mounting plate.

Bill Dickerson (billd) has been doing alternators for us for a while, but I knew from his postings that he was developing plating skills to help him in these projects.

I had been concerned about what to do with my wiper motor assembly.  I had a great NOS motor to use, but the plating was slightly aging even in the box, and I had noticed that all the motors being redone in recent years were not really colorized as original.  That meant that my mounting plate would be totally different looking and not what I felt was right.

Being overly anal as you all know by now, I really wanted to see if I could get someone to work with the plating process enough to get the colorization just right and also carefully refresh the necessary parts of the NOS electric wiper motor.  I knew there was only one person in this world I could trust to do it if he could pull it off - Bill.

After a brief discussion at Rockford and knowing that Bill knew exactly what effect I was after, and seeing him willingly accept the challenge, I left him with the NOS motor and mounting plate to work on for the past year.

The photos below speak for themselves.  Bill spent hours studying the original motor, working out minor imperfections on the mounting plate, working with his new plating system and the scientists from the company he purchased it from to develop a very special process to best replicate the correct colorization.

You will see in the last photo - the attached arm on the back of the motor - it still has the original yellow - iridescent plating.   You can see it is much more muted than what we get in standard plating today at a plating house.

Notice above that Bill even removed the grounding tab and re-attached with a correct rivet post plating.  High level detail - great work Bill!

You can see the 45= year old factory plating on the arm sticking out here.

Bill is now ready to start redoing wiper motors as a service for any of you interested.  He has the process for plating down to his satisfaction, is recently retired, and can do the rebuild of used wiper motors as well as alternators (Bill completely concourse restored my alternator as well).  I am delighted how this project with Bill turned out.  I had the great pieces to give him to work with and the time to allow him to experiment and get it right - this will be a feature item under the hood on the car!

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
scramb390 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramb390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 7:52am
I can say the work on these restored subassemblies are outstanding.was standing with Kevin at Kenosha when he picked them up. he was as excited as a kid at Christmas.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 95>
  Share Topic