TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 8:33am
Gosh, i just got done with a complement to Amc enthusiast's thread. Both this thread and his deserve coffee table book formats. Well volume set not just a book per say... and one huge coffee table to place them on! Ha! 😆

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 6:21pm
I must say that this is the "Project that Never EndsStern Smile"....
When (IF) the SC is completed, it will go down in "AMC Folk Lour" as probably the 
"Most Attention To Detail Restoration in AMC HistoryThumbs Up"....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 6:49pm
Dickie... I know you don't mean it in the wrong way, but Kevins SC Journey is typical of what it takes to restore a car the right way. He's flying when you consider this is his dedicated passtime, following his family and work obligations.

I tip my hat to Kevin, for his skill (ever evolving), determination, and dedication.

Hats off to you Kevin, pops, Eric and family !

Rich C.

Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

I must say that this is the "Project that Never EndsStern Smile"....
When (IF) the SC is completed, it will go down in "AMC Folk Lour" as probably the 
"Most Attention To Detail Restoration in AMC HistoryThumbs Up"....

Edited by Ram Air Rick - Apr/14/2017 at 4:59am
74gremx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74gremx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 6:52pm
With attention to detail, Dickie, I think you meant "Folklore"
1970 Javelin 360/727
1974 Levis Gremlin X 304/904
1964 American Convertible
1974 Matador wagon (parts)
2016 Holden Cruze Equipe
2014 Holden Colorado
"Don't mistake activity for achievement".

kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 9:22pm
Most owner done concours restorations are 5 years minimum, just due to the hours required, the research required, etc that is all done by one (usually full time employed) person.  This one probably seems long due to the extra amount of shared documentation, but that is more due to my desire for the purpose of the posting - to learn from others, and to share what I'm learning for the next ones through the process.

From feedback I've gotten, it looks like others have been able to shorten their time investment - and that's a good thing.  The first plow truck always has to go slower, right?  Big smile.

Dickie - we do need to get you to Kenosha this year - you need to see some of the great cars done by others, to know that there is a brotherhood of total nutcases like me out there!  Grab a airplane ticket to O'Hare in July and rent a car and point it towards Kenosha this summer!   This project is just one of many passionately restored AMC cars out there!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

to know that there is a brotherhood of total nutcases like me out there!     This project is just one of many passionately restored AMC cars out there!

I resemble that remark!
Wacko
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Most owner done concours restorations are 5 years minimum, just due to the hours required, the research required, etc that is all done by one (usually full time employed) person.  This one probably seems long due to the extra amount of shared documentation, but that is more due to my desire for the purpose of the posting - to learn from others, and to share what I'm learning for the next ones through the process.

I can believe that.  It took me two years, and that was with a professional shop doing the body work, paint and engine rebuild, farming out the wiper motor, steering gear, transmission and upholstery while I degreased, blasted and rebuilt and/or repainted everything else nearly full time. Essentially, I had a whole team and it still took two years.

Kevin's work here is amazing. Thank goodness we have people with such dedication in the hobby.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2017 at 10:14pm
Work was slowed a little bit with the Easter holiday, family activities, and Spring Carlisle this week.  Progress occurred - but just not a lot to show for it.

Returned zinc plated hardware was sorted, and the seat hardware was packaged and taken to Carlisle to hand off to Gordy so he could finish the new seats.  We should be seeing those shortly from what he said - too bad the interior is far from being able to install them!

The rear leaf spring shackles finally exited restoration and are now ready to install when the rear goes in.  These turned out pretty good considering how bad they looked when I started:

With some hardware back, and some pieces in the rear area prepared for assembly - I got to bolt on some pieces.  Here the right side torque link bracket assembled to the best and closest I can get to factory pre-undercoat condition.  Note that on SC's there is an extra spacer - the spacer was originally bare metal - duplicated here in stainless steel paint for the bare steel look in the assembly sandwich.  Original zinc hardware used with "TR" head markings:

Hopefully - I made SteveP smile!

This past week, I received back my restored dash pieces.  They now look very nice - glad to have them back, as now I can start to do some dash re-assembly.

EDITED:  I almost forgot - there was more!  I was wondering what I had been up to LOL.  I completed the multistep paint restoration of the pedal assembly with new nylon bushings and re-installed in the car - a very close match to factory detail on the spray patterns and coverage:

Then to top it off, I completed the restoration of the bare metal brake light switch bracket, and special copper washer / bolt to attach, and added the NOS switch:

I also got the gas filler subassembly put together with NOS hose and clamps, and installed on the car with returned zinc hardware, and then got to put on the powder coated cover plate I had done a few weeks back:

The focus for the next couple weeks is to get the leaf springs restored (see the new product announcement section for the first fruits of that project), and assembled with all the right pieces.  These will look great when done.  I want to start the dash assembly, as well as run the long fuel line and brake lines on the undercarriage, and get a few more pieces bolted on like the above.  Hoping to stay busy!

Edited by kcsamc - Apr/23/2017 at 10:36pm
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 11:28am
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 2:26pm
Absolutely breathtaking work! Just spent a few hours going through the entire thread.

...Wow!!!
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 95>
  Share Topic