TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Rebel SST disc brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblur1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Rebel SST disc brake conversion
    Posted: Jan/10/2012 at 9:53pm
    This forum helped me a lot about 3 years ago with some questions about my 67 Rambler American 220. I need your help again... by the way, I'm happy to answer questions about anything I've done to that car that can help anyone else here.
    I've recently become the proud second owner of a 1969 AMC Rebel SST 290 V8 that was originally purchased in my home town. This car is the most complete and well-kept original survivor I've seen in a long time! I even have the original certificate of title from the dealership, ownership card (looks like a credit card) and owner's manual! To top it off, the car was a gift! What more could an AMC fan ask for?! Other than an evenly faded blue paint job and a missing button on the driver seat, it's all there and undamaged.
    Anyway, I really want to drive this car and enjoy it without having the hassle these crazy drum brakes are giving me. When I did the disc brake swap on my 67 Rambler, all of the parts were direct bolt on from an 82 AMC Spirit GT. What I would like to know is.... is there another vehicle that I may have the same simple experience with swapping my front brakes to disc on my 69 Rebel?
    This is a really cool car! I'll try to get a couple of pics posted soon. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 12:33am
Most any amc vehicle with disk brakes will swap, except pacer and eagles. I would stay away from 1970 and older setups and brakes off of four cylinder cars. You can also look into a company called scarebird, they make kits that adapt late model parts to your drum brake spindles. At least one vender listed in the vender section sells a complete oe disk brake conversion.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 7:18am
Pacer brakes will work! Nothing different about Pacer brakes!

Find another 82/83 Spirit Concord for your disc swap--their components are still the most affordable and easily found.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
Ramblur1967 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblur1967 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2012 at 7:24am
Thanks man! I really appreciate the help!
DirtyHardMoney View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyHardMoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 12:38am
Hey man, I want to do the same thing to my 67 rambler American 440. Will those same setups work for me?
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 5:57am
Yes. Any AMC disc brakes (except Eagle) will bolt onto any AMC car.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 8:51am
If you can't find AMC parts might want to look into http://www.scarebird.com/index.php?id=0
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
DirtyHardMoney View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyHardMoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 9:37am
Thanks guys, now hopefully I'll feel a bit more confident when those red light racers stop short
Law-of-Texas View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Law-of-Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 4:32pm
I'm thinking of doing an engine swap from a 77 Wagoneer with a rebuilt 360. My '69 Rebel has an inline 6 and standard 3 on the tree transmission. Will the 360 bolt up to the manual transmission? Does anyone know what engine mounts I need? And lastly, I have heard about disc brakes off other AMC stuff. will the disc brakes off the Wagoneer interchange with the Rebel?
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 7:01pm
You would need a V-8 crossmember to mount the engine. The three speed manual trans won't work, you need a V-8 bell housing and transmission. The six cylinder bell pattern is different prior to 1972. 72 and later six and V-8 will interchange, but most of hte six cylinder transmissions aren't strong enough for a 360.

The 4x4 brakes won't work. The calipers would, but those are easy to find. You need the caliper mounts and rotors from any 79-83 AMC except Eagle (4x4...). The Scarebird setup is probably your best bet unless you just happen to have the 79-83 AMC stuff already, or can get it from a local pick-n-pull. In years to come the rotors are going to get expensive. Pre 79 rotors are $100 or more each now.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic