TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Rambler Rear Window Rubber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Rambler Rear Window Rubber
    Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 8:42pm
I am getting ready to paint my 69 Rambler and want to remove my windshield and rear window prior to painting. I have some bubbling and want to fix and paint those window channels while I'm at it so it is done properly.

Anyone know of a good vendor for purchasing the rear window rubber once I reinstall the rear window? Want a good product that works/fits well and won't leak. Thought I would throw it out there before I go off on a wild goose chase without at least some good recommendations.

Also, what sealing product is recommended for the windshield upon reinstallation? I assume the old 60's type sealer is not a good idea.

Thanks,

Matt
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 9:31pm
I'm new to AMCs as you know, Lakeside.  I've got a tall stack of receipts and repair orders for the '64 though.  Alot of parts were bought from Galvin's AMC Rambler Parts in Lodi (central Cal).  They do have window gaskets and seals too.

http://www.ramblerparts.com/catalog.php

As far as sealants...  I love everything 3M.  I'd try their windshield sealant

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Auto-Glass-Urethane-Windshield-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3293242009&rt=rud
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 11:52pm
matt you might want to try metro molded rubber product I got my rubbers from them for my 65 they had my front glass in a one pc seal but the back glass rubber was 6pc
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 3:14am
with nothing to do at work I found steele rubber has them also
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 9:20am
Matt,
I want to talk to my glass man about this same question.

I am thinking that some generic rubber like I bought for Rapid Delivery will do the job. Better rubber at a cheaper price.

When you get the window out get the following measurements...thickness of the glass, thickness of the body metal around the glass, and distance between the glass and metal with no rubber.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
knightflight View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knightflight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 9:39am
Matt,
For the sealer, use the 3M 'Bedding and glazing compound'. I think it is # 0609, I can't think of it now, but you'll find it.
Don't forget to put it between the glass and rubber as well as the body side. People assume the rubber will seal on it's own since it is a snug fit on the glass, it will not.
Walt

Edited by knightflight - Apr/21/2018 at 10:04am

'68 Rebel SST coupe. (X2)
'69 SC/Rambler (#7 on registry)
'69 Javelin SST Go-Pak 390-4 speed
'70 Rebel Machine 4spd
'72 Javelin AMX 360 ram-air
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 5:23pm
Now seriously hunting as my car is almost done with body and paint. Thanks much guys for the input. And thanks for the 3M compound tip, Wayne. I had no clue about the sealing but was concerned about leaks.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 6:10pm
Matt...
Can you send some pics of the edge on the vehicle. It should be the same all around. Whats its thickness? Can you measure the thickness of the glass?

In other words answer the questions I asked in this post two entries ago.

With those numbers I think generic rubber like I used in my postal jeep will work.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 8:02pm
I have a nice used one for a 4 door. $50.00 plus ride. You don't say if for 2 or 4 door ? JYD.
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
danalog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danalog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2018 at 8:28pm
I can't suggest a specific product, however I know that the guys down at AMC Lives in Cocoa, FL usually keep a lot of rubber on them for AMCs. I would give them a shout to see what they have. They're inventory always changes every now and then.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic