TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Rambler - Installing 360 & Body Work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 12:51pm
Well, it has taken more work than I thought (I guess I shouldn't be surprised with these old cars) but we finally got the 360 engine in with the Bulltear mounts.  Someone had put a 65 crossmember in it so we had to cut a flange off the driver side and install some shims and weld them onto Bulltear mounts for a good engine fit.  Also had to move up my brake lines and move the Wilwood proportioning valve against the passenger engine side wall (I had originally installed it on the firewall under the blower motor and it was just too darn close with the V8 engine in).  Now it fits like a glove.  With regard to the tranny mount I had recently been seeking Forum advice on, we modified a TH400 tranny mount and now that works perfectly for my 904 (now beefed up like a 998) using my 6 cylinder tranny crossmember.

Will be installing new chrome valve covers (the ones in the picture were only for testing the engine a few months ago).  The carb will be a 600 CFM Edelbrock or Weber.  Still researching, my engine builder has both so that decision will be made soon. Ditched the headers for now.  Going with the old log style (70 only) exhaust and traditional exhaust system for ease of fitment without some firewall and other mods.  Maybe revisit headers later.  My Ford 8.8 has 2.73 gears so it will be more fun to cruise the California highways without over winding the engine at 70 or 75.  Next stop, engine electrical harness and connecting, then radiator, then drive shaft, then gas tank and new main gas line, reinstall my fenders and hood (which I blasted/stripped/primed). Paint will come a little later when funds are available.   Finally, driving the beast soon!!! 

Here are a couple of pictures of the engine less the carb and exhaust bolted into the car.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 3:53pm
Very handsome and creative interior -can only guess what you have planned for exterior paint.

I'd say wise choice to use the '70 log style exhaust manifolds; you'll enjoy the car more not having to redo the exhaust gaskets every month, and spit fewer curse words to change the starter.

I hear ya about the I-5 Cali interstate speeds; with everybody driving 80/90 mph, it felt like racing in my '58 Metropolitan but to them I was a turtle only going 65, not to burn out my engine with stock 4.11 rear gear.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 8:05pm
Matt, Glad to hear all is bolted up.!!!!!!!!!

Sounds as if you got the issues under control, all part of hot-rodding.

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 8:36pm
Looking very good!  You get a thumbs up from me on that interior!  I followed your 8.8 swap and have been liking the changes to your car.  Have considered doing similar to mine.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2017 at 11:57pm
Thanks guys. Yes, it is definitely laborious. But a labor of love. And I wish I could take credit for my funky interior. 10 bucks it was done in east L.A. a few years back. It certainly is different and I admire the creativity. I sure get inspiration from you fellow Forum members who have given me wise advice and simple encouragement as a first time project guy. I appreciate it!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2017 at 12:31am
matt that motor looks right at home in there  you are  getting near the end  you came a long way since last year before you know it you will be enjoying the car and others will also its looking good  i also like the cool factor of the interior  it is differant

Don
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 1:12pm
Thanks Don. I appreciate your help with the parts last year. I will post pics when I get it on the road.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 12:23am
Well, here is the new home for the 360.  Seems like 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag, LOL!  But it is nice to have it in.  Now on to my drive shaft, new fuel line and reworked fuel tank, new dual exhaust, hooking up the rest of the electrical, reinstalling my primed fenders, hood, valance and grille.  Also have another driver's door as the current one was over extended and bent up where it meets the fender.  30-60 days and I hope to have it rolling down the street.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2017 at 10:10am
Looking good
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2017 at 4:08pm
Drive shaft installed.  A friend gave me a Javelin shaft that I had cut down.  Put a 7210 slip yoke up front on the 904 mated with the Ford Explorer 8.8 u-joint on the back with a 2.73 gear ratio.  Worked well but need to check the final pinion angle once everything else is installed on the car. Next up, gas tank, finish up the engine wiring and take it over to the exhaust shop.  I'm moving like the tortoise but it's progress! Darn day job getting in the way.

LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic