TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 rambler 199 rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2016 at 2:34pm
Thanks Farna!! That is probably a better idea.. If I don't have to remove the engine, that will save a lot of time.. I appreciate the detailed response...
Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2016 at 8:16pm
Does anyone know offhand what the id of the radiator hoses are on a 199? I couldn't get some of the bolts loose on the cross member,didn't want to break them. I am going to pull the engine out to replace the rear main seal. I want to make PVC or steel plugs for the radiator hoses for removing the engine without spilling coolant all over. I need to replace the strut rod bushings too, will change those while I have the engine out.. Thanks again for your help!!!
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 9:44am
If you are going to pull the engine, you need to pull the radiator too for two reasons. Clearance to get at things and to prevent damage to it. If you are worrying about spilling fluids pick up an oil drain catch sump or just a big flat wash pan and place it under the offending points.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 6:59pm
I was going to pull the radiator after I drain it... I want to leave both hoses attached to the engine and plug them so they don't seep while I'm working on the engine.....I'm not removing the head or water pump, so there's no reason to drain the block...
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2016 at 7:42pm
You might as well replace the radiator hoses and flush the cooling system all at the same time. Just my 2 cents

The hoses are on e bay.

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie
Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2016 at 11:25pm
After some careful wrenching, and penetrating oil, I was able to get the cross member bolts loose. If I remove the strut rods and unbolt the bottom of the shocks, will the cross member drop down? If this is all I need to do to drop the CM, I will follow Farna' s advice and replace the rear main seal with the engine in the car.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 8:45am
I would not be removing suspension parts with the springs still in there. I think most times when people  do that kind of work they lift the engine by releasing motor mounts. Can you jack it with a board under the pan and then support it from the top? I do vaguely remember my dad and another fellow doing that back in the fifties but don't think I've ever done it myself.

Personally I would find a means of lifting the engine out. Can you rent an engine hoist (do they even lift high enough?), use a block and tackle from ceiling rafters or suspended from 3 poles? I have a track mounted in my garage where after lifting can run it forward and then lower to floor or stand.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 9:25am
The springs won't come out as long as the upper arms are in place. The upper arms go down on the stops. You don't need to disconnect the strut rods. The crossmember can be pried down ( you might need a lever to get it down enough -- should drop enough to get a 2=3' length of 2x4 between engine and crossmember. It's okay to pry some against the oil pan as long as you have a wide surface like the 3.5" of a 2x4. I wouldn't use a crowbar or other lever unless there is a wood block between the narrow end and pan. Better to pry against something other than the pan though.

The TSM says to support the engine  from the top with a 4x4 laid across the fenders, padding between fenders and support. Chain/strap around 4x4 and to the engine somewhere. Or drill the 4x4 for a 3/8" J-bolt and hook that somewhere on the engine (that's what the TSM shows).

It's best to run the car up on ramps instead of jack stands. With weight on the front wheels the crossmember comes down better. It will come down one side at a time, so at an angle. Will need to go back in the same way. There is some bind but not much as the lower arms are almost parallel to the ground with weight on the tires. You can't support the lower arms from underneath with jack stands as the arms need to pivot down. Supporting under the body has the arms at a down angle, which will push up on the crossmember and make it very hard to get out without removing the inner lower arm pivot bolt. If you don't have ramps (or a drive on lift) you can jack it up and block under the front tires. You can always set jack stands under the body as a safety if you're not sure of your blocking under the tires.
Frank Swygert
Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 10:37am
Thanks again for the information!! I have the motor mounts off the engine. I bolted a chain to the front of the head and raised the engine up with the engine hoist. The oil pan is loose, so if I can get the cross member down enough, I should be able to get the oil pan out... I appreciate the help...
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 7:38am
Well, you only need to drop the pan 2-3 inches to get it off, just clear of the studs holding the crossmember on. You may only have to completely clear the stud on one side. Most have one stud and one bolt on each side, you might have two bolts...  Good luck!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic