TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 rambler 199 rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 rambler 199 rear main seal
    Posted: May/20/2016 at 3:07pm
I searched for this topic,but couldn't find it. I thought I would ask before I tear into it... My 199 is leaking from the rear main seal. Can I raise the engine high enough to get the oil pan off? I was hoping it could be done without pulling the engine... It runs like a top, and that is the only place it's leaking from...
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2016 at 3:23pm
They all leak a bit. Bet if it was a daily driver it would all most stop. You can't change it in the vehicle.

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie

Edited by Ollie - May/20/2016 at 3:46pm
Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 12:23am
Thanks... If it was just seeping a little, I would let it go for now.. After the engine has been running for a few minutes, it starts dripping pretty steadily... I want to take care of it before I start driving it...
pedal2themetal45 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedal2themetal45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 7:49am
HI are you sure its not leaking down from the back of the valve cover and down.. a Rear main and the oil pan gasket are two different items. (the rear main is around the crank not the pan) if its the rear main the motor has to come out or the transmission has to come off along with the fly wheel/flex plate to access the rear main.
good luck
tim
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 8:14am
There is also the plug at the back of the camshaft as a potential source of a leak.
Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 9:56am
It's definitely coming from the dust cover where the engine and trans meet. The back of the head and top of the trans are dry, it's either the main seal or that camshaft plug. I will see if I can remove the cover, then start it up and verify where it's coming from.... Thanks for the input guys!! Either way it looks like i'll have to pull the engine...

Johnny72 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 1:37pm
Pulled the dust cover and started the engine.. It's definitely the rear main seal, I could see oil dripping off the crank.. Time to start pulling the engine... Thanks again for the responses!!
pedal2themetal45 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedal2themetal45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 5:55pm
Ok .. good luck on the repair..Thumbs Up
good luck
tim
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 10:29pm
I was sure hoping for a bad valve cover gasket.
Sorry to hear your news.

Have AMC Fun,
Ollie
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2016 at 11:05am
The seal can be changed without removing the motor. Engine can be jacked up enough to remove the pan. You will need to loosen the bolts that hold the crossmember to the engine as well. It's best to remove the tires and wheels, as the weight will be an issue when pulling hte crossmember down and reinstalling it. You don't need to disconnect the lower control arms unless you want to remove the crossmember altogether (not necessary).

It's hard to get the top neoprene seal half out and in. Loosen the rear main cap. You will likely have to loosen the other main caps (except the front) as well. Pull all spark plugs to make turning the engine (by hand) easier. Take a 16d nail and cut it down to about 3/8" below the head. Rotate the crank until the oil hole is just about to go under the top seal half. Insert the nail in the oil hole. Rotate the crank and the nail head will push the seal out. You can use the same method to rotate it all the way back in. Make sure the head isn't going to be tight between the crank and block. It's shouldn't be hard enough to scratch the block, but no need to take any chances.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic