TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Javelin
    Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 9:37pm
Have a 69 Javelin, 343 auto with Borg Warner. thought about going with a 4 speed instead, bought all the stuff now thinking I should go with a Amc 727. I am a 4 -speed guy so I don't know, is the switch from BW to 727 a big issue or worth it?
Rod
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2018 at 10:02pm
If you are not keeping it stock, then a 5 or 6 speed manual or an overdrive automatic would be the way I'd be going.
You have to determine what your goals are for the change and work from there.
Many posts on these conversions.
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 7:26am
I did the BW M-11 switch to T-10 four speed in a 70 AMX, the M-11 had issues and needed a rebuild.  Several items on the AMX were not stock, so I was not concerned about keeping it bone stock and made the switch to the four speed.  It was costly but I found all the parts needed over time.  The car is lots more fun to drive with a four speed - I think Jay Leno said something like "you ride in an automatic, you drive a four (or 5 or 6) speed."  I believe that there are issues installing a 727 in a car with the pre-72 V-8 crankshafts, others will know whether it is worth it or not.
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 10:20am
Rod,

If you bought all the stock stuff, it is a slam dunk to swap it.....you just need to modify the floor to get the hole proper for a 4 speed shifter.....I have converted many 68-70 AMX/Javelin's over the years.  I have done the BW M-11/12 conversion to TF 727, the crankshaft requires adapters or you have the machine the crank flange.  You will need the special speedometer cable to adapt the early speedometer head to the TF 727.  Driveshaft will need to be cut/welded and rebalanced.  You will need to make a linkage from shifter to transmission....there is nothing available to buy.  Not easy to go TF727, just think if you bought all the parts for 4 speed then, save yourself additional money and make it a stick car!!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 10:21am
Switching from auto to manual means you will be searching for parts,

bellhousing, throw out lever, and bearing, clutch and brake pedal assembly, clutch linkage, a  flywheel that matches your engine, clutch disc and pressure plate,  trans mount, driveshaft, the trans, (go with a World Class T5 for fun and affordability) a shifter, shifter boot, and probably something I can't think of now. It's not a difficult swap, just time consuming finding all the parts. The manual does make the cars a lot more fun to drive in my experience.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 10:23am
One last bonus in switching from BW M11 that would be behind a 343, is you can reuse the driveshaft and yoke with no modification......the M11 yoke and T-10 yoke are the same part!!  No need searching for that!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2018 at 11:05am
Going to something stock for the car, even if yours does not have it, is easier because you just need the parts, very little fabrication. 4 speed is easier overall. By extension, so is a five speed, since the drive shaft is not hard to modify. The hard bits are adaptors and flanges and such.

As for the BW vs a 727, the BW gets badly maligned. It is not a bad tranny, it's main sins are that there are no aftermarket mods or parts available, and it is heavy. Yes, the TF is lovely and tough as heck, but it is still a 50+ year old 3 speed auto. The BW shifts nicely and will handle the power of a 343 nicely. Thousands of dollars and fab work for a TF is a low return item unless you are racing. Then it is worth it. 

Chris  
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/27/2018 at 12:43pm
If thinking of going to a 727 why not go to a beefed-up 998 instead?
I went from M11 to 727 in a '69, would of gone beefed 998 if i knew then what i know now.
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2018 at 9:31pm
After thinking and reviewing all the comments, it has been confirmed to stay with what we have and enjoy it. Why try and fix something that is not broke. I do want to thank Ross for some of the parts I received from him and also the advice. So thanks to all for your comments, now I have to decide how to sell all the is stuff as a package or individual. Anybody have a 68-69 Javy auto and want to convert to a 4 speed, I do believe I have it all including a 343 and 390 flywheel. LOL I do have it all but I know I need to post in the for sale section.
Oh well. I am am a bad boy.
Happy new year
Rod
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2019 at 3:14pm
I have a Torque Command 8 in my '69 AMX and I like it. Car was originally a 343/Borg-Warner and is now a '72 360 w/ the later tranny. It's not that uncommon of a swap and it's still using factory parts, although for a later model. The shifter linkage is easy with a turnbuckle located between it and the tranny linkage - it looks factory and works well. What's a little trickier to get right is the linkage from the carburetor to the transmission that controls the line pressure - perfectly doable, though. The correct speedometer for the conversion is available from APD. 

Edited by sweatlock - Jan/06/2019 at 8:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic