TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 12:14am
Well what do we have here?

Tim Kleinfelter, the guy who built my shortblock, wheeled and dealed and bartered with me for the 9” that was under his AMX! 2.79 gears in it. It’s got 2.5” lowering perches on it currently, so those will go. I’m also gonna get an extra 3rd member from him and build it with a set of maybe 3.50 or 3.70 gears for fun. Also got an extra set of springs, timing cover gasket, and new wheel cylinders for the 9”. Other than the shortblock, I don’t think we’ve ever exchanged actual cash though there’s been plenty of parts and tools change hands between us. Gotta love car guys, and Tim is among the most serious of them.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2018 at 4:15pm
Wife has agreed to let me have $500 of our tax return. Better than nothing. So here’s the plan (I realize I’ve probably typed that 100 times in this thread and it’s always changing!):

1. Remove vinyl top, trim, possibly interior panels (ugh), remove and treat around rust areas, weld in patch pieces, massage, coat and protect for now.

2. Rebuild brakes on 9”, install with unwelded perches on multiple spring setups to find ideal ride height, burn in perches at good driveline angles.

3. Pull engine and transmission, rebuild trans and fix oil leaks so I can pass tech to make a few passes.

4. Maybe install AMC Torque Links.

5. Replace heater core and enjoy fog free windows and short sleeves on my morning commute.

6. Throw away passenger seat windshield fog rag.

7. Fix grill mounting tabs (although it’s convenient having it out of the way).

8. Find the time to do 1-7.

9. Drink a beer.

10. Drive the car another 10,000 enjoyable miles (at 9,750 now).
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 4:22pm
If you can get all that done with $500 you're doing pretty good! Of course doing all the labor yourself.... should be able to pull it off!
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2018 at 5:09pm
I do all the work, plus the heater core, Torque Links, and patch panels I’m bartering for. Just gotta pay for all the parts to rebuild the tranny, brakes, perches, bushings, some abrasives, filler, and something to protect the repairs for now. Plus all of the odds and ends and fluids I’ll undoubtedly run into.

Although this started as an extreme budget build and did get a little out of hand here and there as I made selective upgrades that don’t fall into the budget category, there is definitely a lot of budget minded building going on. The transmission cost me around $75 and has been kicking butt for 10,000 miles now. If it wasn’t leaking everywhere, I wouldn’t necessarily be deciding to go ahead and rebuild it. The rearend I cracked open for the first time in 48 years about 4,000 miles ago and cobbled it back together with a combination of worn and broken parts from a CJ. I’m now upgrading to a Ford 9” for the price of a little bartering and a set of brake shoes. I am considering going ahead and rebuilding it just for peace of mind. Much of the engine parts I already had. I’ve hacked and chopped and glued and kept this car together on almost no budget as a daily driver for the last 10,000 miles.

Edited by Red20 - Feb/04/2018 at 5:26pm
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 1:45pm
Well, I had Saturday evening free, so I cleaned and organized my half of the garage for the first time in way too long. I definitely need a larger space, but it’s all in there. Ready now to start working when I find the time.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 6:39am
Time and money... when I have one, I seldom have the other!!
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Time and money... when I have one, I seldom have the other!!

Yep. I could not have said it better if I tried!
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 6:54pm
nice job on the garage Red
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 7:39pm
Hey thanks!
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2018 at 9:33pm
Really liking your garage setup! Tons of storage space for small parts/tools and a really good amount of bench space for hammering and wrenching on parts and pieces. And you can see the floor!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253>
  Share Topic