TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 4:57pm
My rust spots are as follows:

-Hood skin totally rusted through. If I can't find a replacement for a reasonable price, I'm gonna get a fiberglass hood.

-Passenger side below the rear triangle glass is now a large hole. This will need the most work. The inner metal is rusting as well.

-Driver side behind the rear triangle glass below the lower vinyl top trim piece. It's still a big bubble right now, but will break through soon.

-Above rear window between the window trim and rear vinyl top trim. Still just bubbled up.

-Under the cracked, weathered vinyl top? Headliner has never been damp after a rain, but I'm sure it's not pretty under there.

-Rear of the trunk opening on the lip just below the weather stripping. Small amount of rust at this time.

The lower quarter panels and rocker panels, below doors, wheel wells, around windshield, usual places are all still very solid. Underside is in very good condition. Anywhere I've scraped off undercoating to mount something I've found shiny metal.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 6:48pm
Send pictures of the holes below the rear quarter windows.  I may have good metal for that on my parts car.  Which is getting cut up this weekend and going to the scrap yard.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 6:56pm

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 7:29pm
I should be able to help you out with the spots below your rear windows.  Will just have to look at my parts car in the daylight.  I'm almost positive that the driver's side is fine.  The passenger side might be damaged.  The rear window opening is in good condition where you need it.  I cut the lower corners out of the rear windshield opening my my car.  Also, I have a complete roof off of this car as well.  It has probably been walked on and thus in bowed downward, but, I think it could be straightened.  It at least has no rust.  Lastly, I have the hood from this car; it is a '70 hood and the front leading edge is rolled down a little, but could be used.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2017 at 9:30pm
That sounds awesome, Patrick, thanks! I don't know how shipping to CA would be, but I should be moving to Maryland around August next year. You're in Virginia, right? I'll PM you my cell # so we can talk it out.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 6:45am
I won't be in Virginia much longer.  Will be moving to Texas the day after Thanksgiving.  I doubt shipping will be very much for the small sections.  It really depends on if you want the roof and/or the hood.  
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 11:01am
My horrible hood was my first ever attempt at any kind of body work and welding. I figured it was so bad that it had to be replaced anyway, and I couldn't make it any worse even if I failed. In the end it turned better than expected and I never did find a suitable hood for a decent price that didn't need similar work.

By the end of this little project I had also graduated quickly to gas based welding which made night and day difference in the look an quality of welds. Unfortunately too late to redo the early work. "If I knew then what I know now"

Maybe you can find some ideas and inspiration from my old post. (I'm not sure if photobucket is still giving everyone a hard time or not. Most of these pics still show up for me)

amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2017 at 8:52pm
pretty neat
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2017 at 10:36am
PlazinJavelin,

I've only just browsed your hood repair thread. Looks like a lot of rewarding work. I'll definitely be reading through that thread a few times. Thanks for the info and encouragement.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 1:59pm
Looks like I’m gonna finally get the bodywork and paint done on the Javelin starting hopefully February. I got a quote from Jonny Zurba in Huntington Beach, CA yesterday. Drive the car over an hour through torrential rains to get out to Jonny’s Hot Rods, Classics Body and Paint. He’s got a really neat shop out there where he does classic cars as well as designing and building custom guitars and a host of other projects. Interesting guy, and I also met Casey Royer, drummer and founding member of Social Distortion over there.

Jonny is also an AMC fan and has his own Javelin. We’re gonna go with Bittersweet Orange. He’ll cut out and weld in new metal for the few rust spots and remove the vinyl top. The hood will have to be dipped and probably a lot of it glassed. It’s the worst part of the car. He uses PCL Poly primer. He’ll block out a guide coat after. Base coat will be PPG in the Bittersweet Orange. After several coats of that, he’ll do the clear. He says he mixes a little color into the last coat of clear which supposedly makes it “pop” more. He color sands up to 2000 grit before buffing with Perfect-It.

I’m no paint and body expert. What do you guys think?

Though most of you are familiar with it, here’s the color I’m going for:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 53>
  Share Topic