TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 4:08am
I cleaned out the housing center with degreaser, water, compressed air, WD-40, compressed air and hopefully got all of the metal shavings out of there. I got .005" of carrier preload but couldn't get under .010" backlash with the shims I have. There's a .1000 on the left and a .0895 on the right. The other shims I have are a .0975 and a .0915. There's just no way to move the ring and pinion gears any closer without reducing pinion shim thickness. I don't have another crush sleeve though. I don't currently have any gear marking compound either, so this is definitely a crap shoot.

On top of all of that, the right side carrier bearing race had spun and took some material from the bearing cap. I dimpled the cap to grip the race from the Trac Loc carrier. It's a nice snug fit as far as I can tell.

This is turning into quite the shady swap. Hopefully axle end play is close because I don't have any extra axle housing shims. This should get me to work for a week or two, and hopefully I'll be ordering parts and completely rebuilding this rear end soon. On the bright side, I'll be way quicker the next time I have to pull it apart. Oh, and I got a ridiculous shiny chrome diff cover from the donor rear end.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 6:21am
Axles are back in. End play is more than I'd prefer, but less than what it was before I took it apart. It was .015". It's now .012". There was a thrust block in the Trac Loc carrier even though it had one piece axles. It didn't interfere with them and it was left in. Apparently my other one was worn .003" more than this one. Preferred axle end play is .006". I'd need to lose .006" in shims. There are 2 shims each .030" so there's nothing I can do there other than maybe run one across the belt sander a few times. It wouldn't be very precise. I just left it at .012. Once again, temporary situation.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2017 at 9:09am
Although 0.008" is the max in the specs when setting an axle up, there will be some wear over time. I don't think 0.012" will cause you any worries. I've seen them with more like 0.0625" (1/16") or more, enough you can feel it when pulling a tire, that were still running fine. Those were open diffs, not limited slips though. The limited slip diffs are probably less tolerant of large end play gaps, but then again it might not make a difference. I've not messed with a lot of them, but from what I can see in the TSM the axle end play isn't a factor.

Took me a couple more years to make E-6 (I think it was 14 before I sewed on), but then you have people staying in the USAF longer than Marines. Without as much turnover rank doesn't come as fast. Civil Engineering was a bit slower than some other jobs in the USAF, but there were a few that were even slower than CE.
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 3:57pm
I got the rear end all buttoned up early Monday morning and had my wife come out to help me bleed the brakes. That all done, I decided to have her stand on them while I crawled around to look for a small brake leak I've suspected for a while. Noticed my Wilwood residual pressure valve for the rear line that I have mounted up high on the firewall was seeping fluid from the 1/8 NPT fitting that goes into the RPV. I tightened it up some and had her step on the brakes again and it sprayed me in the face. Turns out the aluminum valve just split nearly all the way across when I tightened it. Not cool. A new one should be here tomorrow. After ordering a replacement, I read about a company called ECI that makes brass RPVs. If I have issues again, I'm getting one of those. A number of forums complain about the aluminum valves, but the Wilwood tech guy said he'd never heard of any problems.

Also, I got some shims installed to lower my way too high pinion angle and dropped the rear one bolt hole on my extended rear shackles. My transmission is now 3* down toward rear, driveshaft 2* down toward rear, pinion 3* up toward front. If this were a linked rear that'd be pretty good. Not sure about axle torque on the leaf springs.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 10:44pm
I just wanted to say thanks to all of the AMC guys who've always been so helpful and encouraging on here. I started this thread primarily to document the building and maintaining of my car and ask a few (a lot) questions along the way. Some really cool guys have always been so willing to take a minute out of their day to comment and help me along the way. Guys like farna and so many others keep me motivated to drive the heck out of this awesome piece of American iron!
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 5:51am
I'm back to 80-100 hour weeks at work, but I managed to get home tonight around midnight to install the new residual pressure valve and bleed the brakes then test the rear end on the way back to work after dropping the used Trac Loc carrier with my 2.87 gears in it. If I try really hard I can convince myself I'm hearing some slight gear whine, but I may be imagining it. Definitely nothing immediately concerning. Seems solid. I didn't do anything to try to test the posi, but I think I can feel the difference slightly. Or more likely it's completely worn out. Idk.

Also, lowering the rear of the car back down about 1-1/2" made a big difference in handling. It looked cool with that old school rake, but didn't really plant hard in corners. It's much better now, and the beefy ADDCO bars front and rear do wonders for an old muscle car. I ran it up to 125 mph and it was smooth and stable. I had also forgotten about the 2500 stall B&M converter I put in it not long ago. Makes stomping on it from 35 mph a lot of fun. This old girl really runs great at WOT and there's zero hesitation when you stab it with this Quick Fuel carb. With the performer grind cam, it doesn't have much past 5,000 RPM though. Valve stability is good though with the Harland Sharp roller rockers. I've never felt any valve float like I have before with stock springs and stamped steel rockers.

Bottom line, it's fun to drive again. And I'll enjoy it more when I completely rebuild the rear soon.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 6:31am
When you were talking about the pinion angle I realized you had to have it jacked up in the back, 70s style. Kills handling! I blame all those old car comics for starting that trend. Makes the car dangerous in some situations!  Glad you can enjoy the car now.

If it will do 125 without cresting 5K rpm, who needs more than 5K? Unless you're drag racing sounds like you're good. Even then, just shift at 5K... it should perform well for a street/strip car. Winding it up just wears it out faster. That Performer cam is supposed to make good mid range power (2500-5000 rpm or so), sounds like it's doing a good job.
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 9:40am
Yeah, I was playing around with the stance with old school shackles for fun. It's a classic muscle car look and I love it. But it definitely didn't handle the same, and I knew it wouldn't. I still have the shackles on there but I'm at the lowest setting which is only slightly higher than stock.

And I'm not needing to rev more than 5,000 RPM at all. I was just noticing how it falls off around there with this cam profile. This TH350 is setup well and reliably shifts right at 5,000 RPM at WOT. The Edelbrock Performer is a great cam too. It's very torquey right off idle, so it's fun as a driver. And I get good vacuum for my power brakes. I was gonna do something more aggressive, but I had this one new in the box still for a different 360 build, so I used it when I built this engine. I don't regret it at all.

This really is a fun car to drive. The 2.87 gears allow me to keep up with traffic on the highway, but the engine makes lots of torque and doesn't have a problem with the tall gear from a stop. With the 235/60R15 street tires, i'd never even be able to hook up with a lower gear.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2017 at 9:47am
I'm looking at making a set of Caltracs style traction bars eventually. I'm getting more axle wrap than I'd like. I should be able to build some for around $100. I'm thinking 1" .120 wall with 3/4" rod ends and 3/16" plate for brackets and pivot plates.

Does anyone have experience clamping leaf springs by chance? It's old school but I know a lot of guys who swear by it. I've even seen a car with the forward leaves drilled and bolted together.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2017 at 12:43am
I picked up a good looking used set of rear leaf springs that were on a 1968 AMX. Mine are completely flat and starting to get a negative arch at the rear ends of the main leafs. I had 4-5 sets to choose from that were 5 leaf packs. They all had different arches, so I grabbed a set that were around the middle of the range. We'll see how it sits when I get time to install them.

Some time back when I pulled the EFI and went to the Quick Fuel carb, my factory temp gauge stopped working, and without the EFI, I had no temp gauge. So, I FINALLY put in a temp gauge this weekend.

Probably a year ago I ordered a pitman arm from somewhere and finally this weekend pulled the factory arm to replace it. But, somehow I ended up with a manual steering arm. It's identical other than the splined hole for the steering box shaft which is smaller. Gotta order the right one next time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 53>
  Share Topic