TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 3:43am
I pulled the carrier out of the CJ model 20 this evening. This carrier worries me. The cross shaft bores in the carrier are noticeably out of round. It looks like it's been pushed pretty hard and with the posi, that force goes straight to the cross shaft and drive edge of the bores. Assuming both sides are out of round evenly which they should be, it can probably be run for a while longer before it starts completely destroying spider gear teeth. I'd imagine putting it in reverse and accelerating quickly from a stop could cause spider to side gear issues as the wear increases. New carriers are just so expensive... My open carrier is probably what I should go back in with.

1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 10:50am
Just a little off topic...

Five kids? What branch of service and rank are you? (I am retired USAF E-7 -- 1983-2007)
You're lucky to have a budget at all, and looks like a decent shop area too! I had to rebuild my wagon on a gravel driveway when the first was totaled in late 2002. That was right after returning from Kenosha Homecoming that year. Drove from Gulfport MS to Kenosha and back with no problems, only to be rammed in the side on my first day back to work!

As far as the carrier... the open carrier would be the best bet for the long haul, but the posi would probably be fine until you can save up for another. Depends on what all else you want to do with the car. It it's purely a street car I'd just stick with the open carrier.
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 10:58am
When looking for a replacement twin grip get a two piece, they are not only period correct but are better than the one piece you have.

They go for about $200 on up time to time.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 12:42pm
I'm a SSgt (E-6) in the Marine Corps, in 12 years now. My first AMC was a 1974 J10. I have not so fond memories of replacing head gaskets in a dirt driveway with a small Craftsman toolbox and a wobbly wooden step ladder. I guess I have come a long way. I started off in the Marine Corps with a single car carport which felt like such a step up. You get promoted enough, you end up with a nice 2 car garage eventually.

Yeah, an open differential is definitely the way to go for a street driven car. I've had quite a few daily drivers with lockers and just enjoy being able to hammer on it and feel both tires pull. Coming out of a corner sideways is fun when you're doing it on purpose. And my kids LOVE burnout. So yeah daily driver with a little flair.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 12:52pm
There's an open carrier with a Lock-Rite locker in it on EBay for $175. Mechanical lockers can defInitely be an adventure to drive if you're not accustomed to them. I could never afford a Detroit or selectable locker all of my full size Jeep years so Lock-Rites and Grizzly lockers and welded diffs were what I drove everyday. A good one is completely predictable and would be fun in a lightweight car I think.

304-homie, I'd love to find a gently used period correct Twin Grip unit one day!
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 1:49pm
That CJ center section is junk, yes the cross shaft holes SHOULD be round.....I'll be the thrust washers are shredded.  I'll bet it is extremely noisy at best. If you need an open carrier to get you through...I have one for free, just pay the shipping.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

304-homie, I'd love to find a gently used period correct Twin Grip unit one day!

There was a few late last year or early this year. They pop up time to time. The rebuild kits are about $50.00 from Mopar.

Shipping may be around $30 or so. Unless the seller is unable to tell some history. My 304 and automatic had one, and the car was stock from the original owner. You never know what will be parted out here. Early 72 to 68 is to keep sights on. Though if you want the lunch box locker, for cost effective fun, then I can't argue.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 8:14pm
401MATCOUPE, thanks for the offer! I'm looking it over today and it's definitely going out of round, but I've run one that way before for over a year before junking it. The thrust washers still look very good along with the spider gears. The side gears have a few tooth chips though. Interesting note - Dana 60 spider gear thrust washers are identical. I have some extras in my small parts drawer.

I'm gonna put it in today and just see what's what until I sell some parts and order what I need to rebuild the entire thing. We'll see. At least maybe it'll get me to work for a week or two. Such is the life when your daily driver is 48 years old.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 9:57pm
Couple of tech tips for you guys.

If you've ever tried pulling the parking brake cable out of your backing plate you've probably done the dance of trying to push in all of the tangs around the circumference of the collar at once to pull it out only to have one or two pop back into place preventing you from pulling it out. Try wrapping a zip tie around the tangs and pulling it tight to hold them all in then pulling. You probably will only need to push in the one tang under the zip tie slide and it'll slide right out.

If you're trying to pull axles out of a housing and don't have a slide hammer available, try flipping your brake drum backwards and installing it with 2 or 3 lug nuts threaded on only a few turns. Then jerk on the brake drum a few times using it like a slide hammer. Works like a charm.

Lastly, if you don't have a press or a vise big enough to press out a u joint, try beating all around the outer edge of the yoke surrounding a u joint cap. You'll be beating for a good while, but watch in amazement as the cap eventually starts walking right out of the yoke like magic. If you beat on it long enough, it'll literally walk itself completely out and fall to the bench without you even touching it. Before I had my 95# vise or my press, I did many this way and it never failed me. Just wore my arms out.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2017 at 11:34pm
Carrier bearing race:

I now have 4 carrier shims all with slightly different thicknesses. Hopefully I can get backlash in spec with this carrier swap. The bearings and races look very good on this one. The cross pin bore is the only issue. I didn't pull the Trac Loc clutches and steels out, but as far as I can see, they look ok. I pulled the spider gears and thrust washers out and they looked flawless. I'm wondering what the inner pinion bearing and race in my rear end look like considering the carrier race above. I might can get a brake cleaner can nozzle back there and spin it while spraying it out in case there are any particles still in there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 53>
  Share Topic