TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 6:11pm
Get her done!  
At least you don't need to worry about snow storms. 
Good luck getting it all back together!

Edited by hassyfoto - Mar/13/2017 at 7:45pm
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 9:09pm
Thanks guys! I woke up this morning with a pinched nerve in my neck and shoulder that I've been dealing with really killing me. It hurt to breathe even. So I've been slow getting things done today. At this point, I just have to bolt in exhaust and a driveshaft. I'm such a glutton for punishment.

Edited by Red20 - Mar/12/2017 at 9:20pm
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2017 at 12:17am
It runs and drives again. This converter seems to be a nice compromise between the 3000+ stall converter I had in the 2004R and the stock stall converter. I only drove it around the block twice though. I romped on it briefly once or twice and just lightly chirped the tires once which resulted in the police pulling up to my house 20 minutes later as I was cleaning up the garage. Report of a loud muscle car doing burnouts and racing around the neighborhood... Next time I might as well actually do that if I'm gonna get accused of it anyway. There's a neighborhood noise curfew of 10:00pm also and I took my test drive at 10:05.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2017 at 5:04am
There ya go... that five minutes bit ya! Glad you got it going with that pinched nerve... well, even without it, but had to be tougher to crawl under the car!
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 12:13am
The engine is running just fine (Tim Kleinfelter really built a bulletproof bottom end!), and the old TH350 still shifts just about perfectly in any situation and throttle input. Firm and crisp at 5200RPM at WOT and nice and gentle around town. Couple of issues though!!!

My driveshaft was always a little shorter than I'd like. With all of the transmission swaps back and forth, things seem to have shifted and the yoke is out a good inch more than I'm comfortable with. And after putting the silly old school long shackles on the rear, my pinion angle isn't quite where I'd like it. Nonetheless, I wasn't getting any vibration. Also, the only thing I've ever done to the 48 year old model 20 is finally change the fluid about 1000 miles ago.

Last week I started getting a clicking sound in the rear only under 40mph while decelerating. Signs would point to a chipped pinion tooth possibly. Maybe carrier side bearings. I'm getting a slight whine now and the clicking has diminished some. Today, I noticed vibration from about 65mph on but not as much while decelerating. Hopefully the bad angles and vibrating rear end haven't toasted my rear u-joint as well.   
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 12:38am
I'm looking at a couple of options right now. I haven't pulled the rear end apart yet.

1. Completely rebuild the Model 20 with one piece axle conversion. The only thing that may kill that would be worn side bearing bores. With nice Moser chromoly axles, and Timken bearings, it'd be a strong axle.

2. There's a complete drum brake 1992 Explorer 8.8 for $150 locally. It's a 3.73 gear w/posi. More gear than I want, but inexpensive. I'd have to shorten the long end roughly 3" and find another short side axle. That'd make a 57" WMS to WMS rearend. New brakes, set of highway gears, trac-lock clutches, new perches, fresh paint, etc.

3. There's also a complete 1964 Falcon 8" for $350 locally. 3.00 ratio, open diff. Big 2" brakes. The e-brake cables are in very good condition. It's 58" WMS to WMS. Another 1/2" either side won't hurt at all with the 235/60R15s under there now especially with the long shackles. New brakes, gears are good, new perches, paint is already fresh.

The 8.8 can be built up in the future with c-clip eliminator kit, bigger axles, etc. to be the strongest of the 3 options, I think. But I'm not likely to be putting more than 450hp/tq to the axle at any point in the future. And if I ever do, it'll be behind an overdrive and steeper gears which will put less stress on the R&P than if I was putting 600hp to a 2.87 gear set. That said, a built Model 20 would keep it AMC. I like that. But an 8" with the drop out third member is pretty cool. It's plenty strong for my purposes and the allure of building it on the bench is great. They're really sleek and relatively light rear ends. Also, the lack of c-clips is nice if I do twist off a shaft. Although a shortened 8.8 with same length axles means I only have to carry one spare. That'd be a little more involved with a c-clip eliminated axle.

I honestly think I like the 8" route. I could buy it and have it in over a Saturday. Brake parts are still available at the parts store. I'd like to put a Powertrax No-Slip locker in it. I've run them before and really like them. Smoother than their Lock-Right, but still no clutches to wear out. Not as smooth as a limited slip, but once you get accustomed to it, it's fun. Not as scary as some would have you believe.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2017 at 12:40am
Also, apparently with the 8" I'd have to shorten my driveshaft 1". Whataya know, it's 1" too short as it is! Not sure about the 8.8.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 12:30am
Well I finally had a day off and I found the source of the noise. The cross shaft retaining bolt backed out causing the cross shaft to try to slide out and hit against the end of the pinion gear as the carrier spun around taking out the very ends of the pinion teeth and wearing into the end surface of the gear. I guess after 48 years it finally couldn't hold on any longer. This is a new one for me. The cross shaft ends are all chewed to bits. There's a nice collection of metal chunks in my drip pan and still in the housing as well. The carrier bearings are making a nice grinding/popping sound too and the pinion bearing feels pretty rough as well.

I could probably rebuild the old girl. I have a posi carrier in a CJ rearend I could rebuild with new clutches and steels maybe. It's a 4:11 gear which is way to low for this setup so I'll need a new ring and pinion too. I might could clean up the ends of the pinion teeth and get away with reusing these gears, but I don't know. The ring gear looks fine. It is a little worn I suppose, but doesn't look beat up from the metal chunks.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 6:30am
The worn gears will most likely always make some noise. If you're going to the trouble of rebuilding it, may as well add $250-300 for new gears. Most places only list 3.31 and lower, but found one that has 2.73 and 3.08: http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/ring_and_pinions/amc_20_ring_and_pinions.html

Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2017 at 10:54am
I took some videos, but haven't uploaded them anywhere. Here are some screenshots though. You can see the chipped pinion gear and one chewed up end of the cross shaft. I can slide the cross shaft in and out easily with one finger. I read in another forum after a google search about a guy with a similar issue and his carrier ended up with the cross shaft bore egg shaped after it banged around in there for a while.

I do have that trac-lok carrier in the CJ Model 20 in the garage. It has some spider gear chips and possibly side gear chips as well. I just remember they were minor and the guy I got it from "said" it didn't make any noise and he didn't even know they were chipped until he pulled it for an axle swap. Maybe a new gear set, rebuild kit with all new bearings, and trac-lok rebuild will get me back in business. And MAYBE, if my accountant(wife) approves it, a pair of Moser one piece shafts too!

I'm still thinking about a Ford 8" from an early Mustang or Maverick. They're 43" perch width and within 1/2" WMS to WMS. And I REALLY like the idea of building a center section on the bench then bolting it in. A centered 8.8 from an Explorer is also an option, but it's hard to find one close to 3.00:1 ratio it seems. My 2.87:1 gears are just about right with my tires and 3 speed automatic. I found a really nice one already shortened and centered and rebuilt with a posi but it's 3.73 gears. That'd be great for 0-60mph, but I drive this car on the highway to work and weekend cruises.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 53>
  Share Topic