TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 Javelin SST on Budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 53>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 12:19am
Well, I really wanted to use 3.54 or 3.73 gears with this transmission and torque converter, but I found a guy selling an entire model 20 axle with 4.10 gears and a trac-lok for $50 with 4 15x10" rims. It also has one piece axles in it. There are 2 chipped spider gear teeth that he said he didn't even know were broken until he opened it up to change the fluid. I traded him a York compressor straight up.

The rims are ugly, but are pretty much identical to the ones I have on it. It's a 5 on 5.5 pattern axle and wheels though. It's also 3" offset to the passenger side. And it's about 55.5" WMS to WMS. And the perches are on 36" centers. Looks like I'll just be using the carrier and pinion or just the ring and pinion. Not sure yet. An LS is cool, but broken spider gear teeth and 33" off-road tires on a Jeep isn't promising as far as clutch condition is concerned.

The guy did say he thought he had a spare axle shaft. If it's a long side shaft, is it possible to use both long shafts and have them cut and resplined to convert my housing for one piece shafts? Just throwing out random ideas here.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2017 at 5:56pm
Just an update on the transmission swap. I haven't had time to rebuild the valve body in the 2004R yet as I've been working 80+ hour weeks, but as soon as I get a weekend free I'll be doing that and hooking up a pressure gauge to see how everything looks. I'll probably do before and after readings actually.

I gotta say, the 10A mini time delay relay that I bought to lock the converter in 4th gear after a time delay is pretty sweet. If you ever need a fully custmizeable relay that can do a HUGE variety of functions, this thing is perfect. Check out the website: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/ I can think of a million pretty cool uses for one of these.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 12:25am
I'm chipping away at installing my TransGo kit around other things I had to do this weekend. Man, I've never done one of these with the transmission in the car and it's a serious pain. I just spent 45 minutes just fiddling with my new .500 boost valve and the other valves and springs in line with it in the pump bore trying to get everything seated and the snap ring back in. What a pain! And the 2nd servo wasn't fun either. There's barely room to get all of the parts out between the tranny and tunnel. I drilled all of the separator plates fluid circuit holes out to the sizes recommended for firm "race" shifts and used all of the "race" springs elsewhere. I also modified the case for dual feed 3rd. The last TransGo kit I installed was in a TH350 and I went with the "mild" options. It shifted fantastic, but I wouldn't have minded a little firmer shifts. We'll see how this one does. I shimmed the 2nd piston but the band still seems a little on the loose end of the tolerances. Hopefully it's not just too worn for this to do any good.

This is a lot of work for the transmission to end up needing to come out for a rebuild anyway. My fingers are crossed...
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 11:14am
Well, it feels a lot better. Felt like it was slipping a lot before. Not anymore. The one issue I'm having is that it doesn't want to shift at WOT without me lifting. I dropped the hammer at around 35-40 mph and saw 7k RPM before I lifted!!! I'm confident in this engine build, but I'm not planning on ever running it past 6k, especially not with this performer cam. I didn't touch the governor, though it is a high performance version. I looked at it and it still had both springs and no one has ground down any weights.

I am having a hard time reading the dipstick. I've had cars low in fluid that didn't want to shift properly before. Always a late shift until the fluid level was corrected. I put in 8 quarts plus a bottle of Lucas transmission stuff. I'm gonna let it sit for an hour or two and warm it up then try to get a good reading on the first shot before I smear fluid all up and down the tube.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 5:57am
I think the "hold second until you lift" is part of the "race" modification in the TransGo kit.
Don't know how much your trans is supposed to hold, but unless you put an empty converter in too the capacity rating won't matter -- no telling how much is in the converter and lines. Some trannys check in park, some in neutral -- it can make a difference! The BWs should actually be checked in neutral, from an official BW manual (not AMC TSM, which I don't think specifies park or neutral... owners manual might though...).
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 7:34am
No, that's definitely not part of the TransGo kit's intent. I heard a clunk yesterday as I was braking to pull up the driveway. It just seems like this thing is gonna have to be pulled and rebuilt.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 11:45am
Well boys and girls, I rolled the dice installing this 200-4R as is and lost out. It's in desperate need of a rebuild. And I'm not so sure I can deal with the 3000 stall converter in a daily driver. It's awesome when you stomp on it. The thing flashes and you take off like a rocket. This 360 has not disappointed. Tim Kleinfelter built a solid shortblock and everything else came together to make a great engine.

I'm just gonna pull the engine and transmission one more time and reinstall the TH350. It's a great 3 speed and it shifts beautifully. If I can locate a 2200-2500ish stall converter for cheap, I'll install it and it'll be perfect. I will eventually rebuild the overdrive. Or keep an eye out for a used gear vendors unit.

I'm also looking at a possible trade which will have me out of an AMC for the first time in over 10 years. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'm dying to build an old Chevy truck. There's a 1961 K10 flare side short bed 4 speed for sale in Tempe, AZ that I'm slowly falling for.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 11:21pm
Forgive my blasphemy. The Javelin isn't going anywhere! That truck was really cool, but it needed too much work for the $8k he was asking. And after a couple of days, I was over it and felt bad for even thinking about parting with my yellow Javelin. I'm pretty much out of money to spend on it for a LONG while, so I'm just gonna drive the wheels off of her.

I did manage to come across a B&M Holeshot converter advertised around 2500 stall. It still looked brand new and had been in a Chevelle that a guy only drove to shows and on weekends. It looks brand new still. Paid $100. They're $320 new. Not a bad deal if it's as solid as it looks to be.

I'm just starting to drop exhaust, driveshaft, starter, coolant lines, etc. under the car to pull the engine/trans tonight. Hopefully I'll have the TH350 back in there in no time. I sure wish I could afford a gear vendors unit. I love this TH350 and just wish I had more gear for cruising so I can put 3.73 rear gears in and still bomb down the freeway.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 7:08am
I've got the engine and TH350 bolted back into the car now. The last things I need to do under the car are reinstall the exhaust and driveshaft along with transmission cooler lines as soon as I drop the radiator back in. After that it's just a matter of hooking everything back up, filling fluids, and going for a test drive.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 8:28am
Good luck!
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 53>
  Share Topic