TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'69 GAS PEDAL Public Service Announcement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '69 GAS PEDAL Public Service Announcement
    Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 2:41pm
This is based on a real life experience when my '69 AMX Gas Pedal stuck at WOT at the dragstrip.
I do not know what all models and years this applies to.
Would imagine most that were available with the Borg Warner Automatic Trans
and in the years where the BW Kickdown Switch was mounted under the Dash on the Gas Pedal.
It appears even 4-Speed Manual Trans cars used the same Pedal Assy and should also be checked

See attached picture from a 4-Speed Manual Transmission Car with No BW KD Switch shown.

Check under the Dash above and a little outward above the Gas Pedal
where there is a Rod with the flat end that sticks up to actuate the Switch.
The Switch Mounting Bracket is also there... 
Coming forward just to the right of that upright flat ended Actuator Rod...
and with 2 holes in it for mounting the Auto KD Switch...
It is just part of the Pedal Assembly. 
Check out that area and make sure there is no chance
for that upright Rod to get caught behind that 2 hole bracket
at WOT due to side-to-side slop in the floor end gas pedal pivot points...
The Flat Ended Rod comes forward when the Throttle Pedal is pressed to the floor.

I had switched my '69 from the BW Auto to a TF Auto and removed
the Borg Warner Kickdown Switch under there.
Later at the drag strip one time, the gas pedal had gotten
a little side-to-side play in the floor end pivots
and that vertical actuator rod got caught behind
the switch bracket and held the throttle wide open !
This actually happened to me, and
I turned off the ignition key to get stopped, thankfully...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/19/2019 at 2:53pm
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 7:35pm
Thanks for the heads up tip. Need to check this out. Looks like the upper portion of the bracket got twisted or deformed a bit.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2019 at 8:18pm
I had the carb linkage jam WOT, in my first 69 Javelin, after exuberantly mashing the pedal to the floor. I hit the brakes to slow the engine speed as much as possible, then turned the ignition off. No damage done, except to the underwear. Wink Aah to be 19 and stupid again LOL

Later, with fresh underwear installed, and the engine off, I recreated the event, and found that slight bending of the carb linkage would prevent any further mishaps. I also found I could have hooked my toe under the gas pedal and lifted it up to un-jam the carb. However, with milliseconds to make a decision, it didn't occur to me at the time. It's possible this solution might have worked for you when your pedal jammed on the kickdown switch.

69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 2:01pm
In my case I don't think the toe under the pedal would have worked.
There was no BW Switch on there when it happened, just the bare bracket as in the picture.
That picture is not of my car, it is a picture of the area on someone else's car that they sent me.
The flat tipped rod comes forward, pivot slop let it all shift sideways towards the trans tunnel,
and the flat tipped rod was caught in front of the sheet metal switch bracket part with 2 holes in it.
The stuck throttle was not in any way caused by anything under the hood.

Unsure of what took place when, but I had replaced the carpet with new soon after
buying the car in 1985 and the new carpet had some thin foam rubber glued to the back.
I left the stock ? jute ? or whatever it's called ( lint rug ) mat in the car also.
I also changed to using Holley Carburetors fairly early on, but it had been some number of years
before I figured I'd check and make sure I was getting WOT with the stoc '69 Cable and the Holley.
Well there was a pretty thick doubled over piece of "jute" mat and the foam rubber
all wadded up under the gas pedal preventing it from getting WOT, so obviously I pulled all of that out of there.
Now when, and if before or after the stuck throttle incident, I am unsure, don't know.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2019 at 11:13pm
I have had linkage assemblies jam from bad motor mounts. All my cars have been changed to cables, but that did not help the subject cable pedal.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2019 at 2:37pm
Has anyone looked under their dash at the Gas Pedal Assembly
and taken any pictures to post ?

Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2019 at 8:29pm
I have looked and the pedal assembly "was" the same but I have a manual transmission. Just to endure there would be no bind issues I bent the end of the piece that would hold the switch and it is now my courtesy light bracket. 
Manual transmission cars like mine may have the same bracket. Bending it will ensure no bind.
I appreciated the post, Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic