TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX torque link install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX torque link install
    Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 8:52pm
Can someone send me some pictures of the correct way to install the torque link bracket on the rear end housing? Every picture I see shows it a different way. Does the u-bolt go to the inside or the outside of the housing?

Thanks
David
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:11pm
I am not sure quite what you mean. The torque links on the axle have a bracket that goes on top of the axle, held by the U-bolts that hold the axle to the spring. There are two Ubolts per axle and they are one on the outside and one on the inside of the leaf spring. The bottom of the bracket has the shock obsorber mounting and they are set up staggered with one ahead of the axle and one behind. I believe that all of them ie AMX, Javelin, Gremlin, etc are basically the same. Check the parts book illustration, if you have access to one. 

I hope that helps!

Chris 
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:12pm

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

I am not sure quite what you mean. The torque links on the axle have a bracket that goes on top of the axle, held by the U-bolts that hold the axle to the spring. There are two Ubolts per axle and they are one on the outside and one on the inside of the leaf spring. The bottom of the bracket has the shock obsorber mounting and they are set up staggered with one ahead of the axle and one behind. I believe that all of them ie AMX, Javelin, Gremlin, etc are basically the same. Check the parts book illustration, if you have access to one. 

I hope that helps!

Chris 

One u-bolt per side, bolts otherwise between the lower plate (shock plate if you want to call it that) and the torque link bracket. U-bolt is to the inside of the spring, the two long bolts on the tire side of the spring.
Can't use a u-bolt with the link bracket as there's no way a rounded u-bolt would fit in there. So, two bolts.

Edited by billd - Sep/15/2019 at 9:15pm
david0141 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david0141 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:37pm
Thanks chris. 
I am doing a rotisserie restore. And when I installed the rear end I can't remember how it came out. I have the torque link bracket bolts to the inside of the leaf springs & the u-bolts to the outside.  Also I have both shocks to the back of the housing. Dont think I can put 1 shock to the front of the rear end housing because it will hit.

Thanks
David
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 9:50pm
Bill is right, a bit of a failure of words combined with the power of a picture! The BOLTS go on each side of the axle housing, but only one of them is a U BOLT. My bad, but it looks like you got the gist, between the picture and descriptions. 

Good luck!

Chris 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 10:01pm
And both shocks do go behind the axle because of the torque links!

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 11:26pm
Ramblin' you are saying that normally they are staggered, but if there are torque links installed they are both behind the axles? Interesting, I now have something to check! I don't recall that.

Chris 
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2019 at 11:50pm
I just checked mine and it has the PS shock ahead of the axle and the DS is behind it. 

Chris 
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2019 at 7:06am
On Javelins they are staggered; on AMX's they are not.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic