TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX ignition switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX ignition switch
    Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 3:35pm
When I did the interior of my AMX I bought a reproduction wiring harness and installed it. Today the stereo started losing power and I noticed the wires coming out of the ignition switch were very hot. It is the original switch. Could the switch be causing this?
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 3:52pm
No....Not likely the switch.  Do you have a power amp?  Think high draw items.  
they call me Capt RETIRED!
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 4:21pm
I have an amp for the stereo but it is wired from the battery not through the fuse panel.

I went through the ignition switch test in the 69 TSM and the switch fails the ground test  passes all tests if I'm doing it correctly.

Edited by Javelin360 - Sep/02/2019 at 4:32pm
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 4:53pm
Turning the key to the IGN position with everything off the wires still get warm. I'm not sure where to look next.
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 4:56pm
I don't know man.....like trying to diagnose a person over the phone....
they call me Capt RETIRED!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 5:26pm
I'm gonna start by disconnecting the amp and see what happens. I'll continue pulling fuses until I figure it out I guess.
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
Perrybones View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Perrybones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2019 at 6:33pm
Which wire is the hottest? If its the red, thats the main power from the battery. It has no fuse. Green should be the starter solenoid "crank" wire. Pink should be the ignition coil wire.
I would suspect the coil wire
Perry 70 Javelin SST 390, 69 AMX 343, 73 AMX 360, 67 Rebel SST Conv and 92 Corvette Conv. (modern muscle to keep wife happy).
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 5:34am
Make sure that the male terminal blades on the switch are clean and bright and do your best to clean the mating female terminals in the plug. You may have to remove the terminals from the plug one at a time and then clean them with a brass wire brush. You may also want to squeeze them down a bit to insure that they connect tightly to the switch terminals. Make sure that the battery is disconnected when you do this. If you're still getting heat then the internal contacts in the switch may be dirty or going bad creating resistance. It's resistance that creates the heat. I'm not sure if the ignition switch can be taken apart to inspect or clean the contacts.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 8:35am
Hot wires means excessive current. You have a short somewhere. To narrow down where it is, start pulling fuses one by one until the wires stop heating. Make sure to test after each fuse is pulled so you know which fuse did it.

If you have access to an ammeter, connect it between the battery and positive battery cable. Look for a dramatic drop in current as you pull fuses. That's a little more scientific than feeling for hot wires.

What george w said about cleaning the terminals was good advice. I'm not sure dirty terminals would cause the wires to get hot, but could cause the connector at the switch to get hot.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
JGRANTAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRANTAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2019 at 2:24pm
I would pull all the fuses and disconnect anything that draws power when the key is on, then put them back on one at a time until the problem circuit is found this way you are less likely to damage something while checking for the issue.

J
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic