TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX headliner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX headliner
    Posted: Jan/23/2017 at 7:06pm
I plan on ordering a headliner for my 69 AMX from APD.  The only problem is I did not remove the old one myself.  Exactly what holds up the headliner?  Are there special fasteners?  And is there any documentation I can go to for reference?
Thanks.
V/r Taco
Taco
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2017 at 7:26pm

The repops are rigid ABS, rigid enough that once you fasten the sun visors, coat hooks and shoulder harness hardware, they wont go anywhere.  I was really disappointed not to be able to find original headliner materials, but in retrospect it was mostly a non-issue.  In over a year and four AMC shows since I finished my car, only one person has ever asked about my headliner.  I did scuff it with a Scotch-Guard pad and painted it.  I had my local paint store mix me up some relatively flat SEM Color Coat to the right color.  

It will never feel like the real thing, but it pretty much looks the part, and I won't have to worry about it sagging like the originals did.

I used two shower curtain rods-- the kind that you can twist to extended to the length you need-- and metal-spring paper clips (from Office Max) to hold it in place until I fastened the hardware.  

Edited by CamJam - Jan/23/2017 at 7:32pm
av1956 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote av1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 5:11pm
CamJam,
Thanks for the info.  I appreciate your support.
V/r Taco
Taco
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 6:17pm
There were "J" shaped channels that held the headliner on the sides under the padded pinch weld trim. Two foam pads were glued on the back of the headliner, one in front and one behind the metal, side-to-side brace that divides and supports the top. There is a painted metal molding that holds and separates the headliner from the sail panels on both sides in the rear.
Mike
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2017 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

There were "J" shaped channels that held the headliner on the sides under the padded pinch weld trim. Two foam pads were glued on the back of the headliner, one in front and one behind the metal, side-to-side brace that divides and supports the top. There is a painted metal molding that holds and separates the headliner from the sail panels on both sides in the rear.

True about the "j" channels, though with the ABS headliner they're really not necessary.

I put some squares of Dynamat equivalent between the headliner and the roof, also some bubblewrap type home insulation as I recall.
Javelin360 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2017 at 10:52am
Cam Jam,

I'm getting ready to do the interior of my AMX. I have the original headliner but it is in rough shape. I had an upholstery shop try to repair it but it was a futile effort. I am also going to order the APD replacement. I could use some detailed pictures of how the head liner, rear sail panels and everything else all interact together.
69 AMX     401/727
74 Javelin 360/727
09 Mustang Supercharged 4.6
14 Wrangler Sport 4X4
18 GMC Sierra
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2017 at 6:10pm
CamJam and others, are all of the ABS headliners the same? Another member told me it took 20+ hours to install his, the screw bosses for the sun visors weren't in the right place and there is a gap on both sides. Anyone else with these problems? What kind of trimming is involved?

Thanks!

Hal
Hal Souers
Indiana
AMO Classified Editor

<font color=RED>In search of red Matador Barcelona sedan in EXCELLENT condition! [/COLOR]
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2017 at 7:10pm
I installed a repop headliner in my red  '70 AMX back in the early 1980's. Brought the car to plenty of shows and no one ever noticed. When i bought my green '70 AMX in the early '90's the previous owner already installed a repop. That car is going thru a restoration right now and will be using that headliner.
DesertAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DesertAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2017 at 5:21pm
I put a ABS Headliner in my AMX back in 2008. I was fortunate to have my original fiber shell to compare holes and it lined up fine. I did the same and had custom SEM paint to match. Still in the car and looks good. Wish I had thought of the curtain rods for installation.
69 BBG AMX

69 BBO Javelin Project

Cactus Cruisers AMC
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2017 at 11:47pm
Av1956, Craven and Javelin360...I bought the APD Headliner and sail panel "combo"...I believe there are installation instructions included. (I haven't opened box...but their website says 4 pages are included) I haven't installed yet obviously...so I can't give you a play-by-play to say how detailed or accurate they are. I too would be interested in pics though if anybody has any...my interior was pretty much stripped...so...I'll be reconstructing starting with the headliner. (I believe I have all the parts and such but nothing to compare and say for certain.)

If I get to my headliner before you folks...I'll take pics and try to provide some detailed install feedback. (what goes where and what holds what)

Curtain rods and paper clips...I dig it. Excellent tip. *thumbs up*

Good luck with your install!

Edited by AMoCoLite - Feb/01/2017 at 11:59pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic