TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Front Lowering Coil Springs coilsprings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 5:48pm
Some spring manufacturers send the same springs for trunnion cars as ball joint cars. TRUNNION CARS USE DIFFERENT SPRINGS!! When AMC went to ball joints they move the spring pivot point in on the top arms. Trunnion cars have the spring directly over the upper joint. With the pivot moved in the SPRING MUST BE STIFFER DUE TO LESS LEVERAGE. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it's enough to notice.

Coil springs Specialties (www.coilsprings.com) will make whatever you want. They have the factory specs, but if you want a lower/stiffer/taller/softer spring they can alter it for you. 69 and earlier TSMs have the spring specs in the suspension section, later TSMs don't.

I've used springs from CSS in several cars, that's the only place I get coil springs from. They make them to order, so might be 2-3 weeks before you get them, but every time it's been worth the wait for me!
Frank Swygert
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by maximus7001 maximus7001 wrote:

Apparently HD and go pack are the same thing. Depends who is saying it. A real AMC old timer will call them go pack. Anyone else calls them HD. The front springs are not an issue between AMX and Javelin, but the rears have completely different arch and rates between AMX and Javelin and cannot be used on the wrong car.

While that may be true, my 1969 Javelin is wearing a set of 1968 HD AMX springs plus an additional full length leaf cut from the main leafs of my original packs. The only difference is the wheels are about 1/2" more forward and the higher arch required bolting some shims into the packs. They ride how I wanted. I need to move my ADDCO antisway bar mounting position a little though due to the slightly different alignment of the suspension now. I'm gonna probably weld in plates with blind nuts onto the unibody rails and a couple of mounting position options to cover different setups.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic