TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Clutch Bolts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX Clutch Bolts
    Posted: Feb/03/2017 at 6:24pm
OK my 69 AMX has been a roller, no drive train, ever since I have had it.  I am sending the rotating mass out for precision balancing and want to know about the bolts to attach the clutch to the flywheel.  3/8 x 16 bolts about 1 1/4 inch long appear correct.  I have a new centerforce clutch and a Scheiffer flywheel.  

Do I need flange head bolts, regular hex bolts (whcih is what I have) or flat washers or split washers.  It appears that the factory (looking in my bolt box) only used grade 5 hardware (TR head stamp).  Need recommendations for the proper bolts because I don't want the balancing guy to have to acquire them.

Thanks, Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2017 at 6:44pm
I've never seen a rotating assembly balanced with the pressure plate installed.  That is something new to me.  But as to the hardware, as it is uniformly distributed around the circumference of the flywheel, I would think it wouldn't matter what hardware you used as long as it was all the same..
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 6:43am
Every engine that I have balanced (WHICH IS EVERY ENGINE BUILD), I give them front dampener, crank, flywheel/flexplate, single rod bearing, rings, pistons and rods.  Never any hardware.  I make sure the flywheel has good ring gear or have it replaced before balance and what every crank grinding needs done accomplished, all before the balance work.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 7:55am
Guys, The machinist wants everything I am putting together, including the clutch. I only assumed he wanted the fasteners too, but he does not have to use them if he does not need them. Joe
rebels&amx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebels&amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 8:22am
the correct bolts for stock set up are grade 8. used with a lock washer,they have a longer than normal shoulder to center pressure plate. I have seen them aftermarket also,i would check summit racing.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

Guys, The machinist wants everything I am putting together, including the clutch. I only assumed he wanted the fasteners too, but he does not have to use them if he does not need them. Joe

A few things things to consider.  A pressure plate is neutral balanced at assembly.  I can't see where adding that to the rotating assembly provides any value.  Secondly, I can't remember what the balancing speed is but I think it's around 500 rpm.  If you have a pressure plate with any movable parts (like rollers) I'd be concerned that they all assumed a running position at that low speed.  Thirdly, if by 'clutch' you also mean the clutch disc, frankly I'd be looking for another balancing shop.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2017 at 10:24am
The request to include the clutch always seemed unusual to me, but I have asked the shop several times about it. I will discuss it with them again when I deliver the parts. Thanks everyone. Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic