TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 69 AMX 390 water pump outlet nipple - LAME design!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX 390 water pump outlet nipple - LAME design!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX 390 water pump outlet nipple - LAME design!
    Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 10:08am
I disabled heat on my 390. I am frustrated because the outlet nipple is an peculiar size. Local parts store didn't even have that size heater hose. Further, the nipple is conical without much of a ridge for clamp to hold against. I tried to fashion my own cap from a plumbing "Fernco" coupler and I made a plug out of a PVC cap that I inserted in the open end and hose clamped it. And was it really by some design that the outlet dumps right on to the alternator?

What are you guys using to cap this outlet nipple?

Thanks -

- Walter
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 10:27am
The heater connection on the water pump is 3/4" heater hose to the heater core.  I have used short piece of heater hose with a solid piece of 3/4" bar in the end with two worm drive hose clamps as a road fix.....I am sure there are better ways to make better looking.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
WallyMax69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 10:40am
My "cap" blew the other day, I installed it a few months ago and my memory is not clear, but it seemed to me that 3/4" hose from the parts store would not fit. I'll look at it again. Is it just me or is that nipple not ideally suited to hold the hose and clamp?

I had been running my old radiator (replacement from a crash in the 70s - this car just got back running a few months ago) and it split a seam in the upper tank. I replaced it with a Champion aluminum and was running it for the first time. I went a few blocks (all I can do - the body is not near complete) and let it run for a bit when I returned. I was taking temperature readings with a laser gun. It was cooler than before - 160s vs. 180s (upper tank, upper hose etc.) which was nice. The old one had a lower pressure cap, I think, so this one may have allowed higher pressure, and the Fernco cap just blew right off.

I still say that the nipple is not very good - it looks like something that came out of a bad mold - not well designed at all.
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 11:57am
Your water pump is likely a defective aftermarket casting. I have seen a few aftermarket parts store pumps for other makes with similar problems.
Your only recourse is to try to find another water pump. Unfortunately 67-72 AMC V8 water pumps are difficult to come by, let alone a good OEM casting.
bcsideshow View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcsideshow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 11:58am
I threaded a pipe plug into one of mine with some pipe sealer. Been there for years.
1969 SCRambler "B"
1970 AMX 390 Auto
1968 AMX 390 Auto
1970 Rebel Machine Project
1969 AMX 390 4SPD Project
1969 AMX 390 Auto Project
1969 Javelin 390 project
1997 Cherokee lifted
1998 TJ Lifted
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 12:01pm
Be aware that engine coolant temperature is high enough to melt PVC. You will need to find some other way to block the port. Most PVC starts getting soft at about 170 Fahrenheit.

Edited by akimmet - Aug/18/2018 at 12:05pm
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2018 at 7:01pm
You can tap a thread into the outlet and install a pipe plug as mentioned above. I didn't have any trouble finding a suitable rubber cap for mine, maybe you need a better parts store. It's possible yours had a build up of corrosion on the outside or maybe has corroded away.
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2018 at 6:00pm
how old is the water pump and what brand? measure the outlet and is going to be a 7/8. i got a new one had and grind down the outlet and put the hose on before i put it on the engine.
bobsterfl View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobsterfl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2018 at 8:27pm
For what it's worth, the Edelbrock pump has a threaded hole to accept a screw in hose fitting.
Bobsterfl
1970 BBO Javelin
390 - Torqueflight
WallyMax69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WallyMax69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2018 at 7:35am
I am late to reply here - I thought the email notifications would tell me when I was getting responses...

The water pump is an original AMC - I had it rebuilt.

I'll try and post a picture and you all can tell me what you think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic