TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 amx 390 point distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 amx 390 point distributor
    Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 3:47pm
can i use a 401 1112112  1972 point distributor in a 69 390 and if so what are the mods i need to  do on the 401 distributor; i also intend to use a pertronix  ignition conversion in  Deadthis dizzy 
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 4:34pm
Bolt it is and don't look back, it will have slightly different vacuum advance and Mechanical advance properties.....but functionally it will work fine.  You can play with the mechanical advance to a point, by buying a Mr Gasket kit for GM/Delco Distributor and changing springs to put the advance "in" at what your engine likes.  You can also buy a adjustable vacuum advance for GM/Delco Distributor and also adjust that with a allen wrench that comes with the kit.  The vacuum advance looks slightly different, kind of a hex shape right before the vacuum nipple....but most don't care about that.  A stock 69 390 distributor 1111473 runs about 26 degrees combined vacuum and mechanical advance......I just ran 2 of them across my Sun 500 Distributor Machine last weekend, just ask AMXTSY.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 4:48pm
hi matcoupe thanks for the info btw i sent you my 2 traction control arms today you must have received an email a lot more ? toi come sice i biught a 69 amx project 10 years ago and it was more of in a  box like carWink
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2018 at 7:48pm
As mentioned by Ross, the dissy will work fine, though it may not  be ideal for performance. What you need to do is figure out what you have, ie the total mechanical advance and then perhaps make some changes. Look under the advance mechanism of your distributor and there will be a 3 digit number. The last two numbers are the mechanical advance, probably around 30-32. You need to decide if you are happy with what it has or if you want to tune it further.

Most people prefer to have the initial around 10-15 degrees initial and 18-28 degrees of mechanical on top of that, totaling around 34-38 total. As Ross said,  you can use a Mr. Gasket set to change the rate of advance. Probably around 2800-3200 is around where you want it. Last, you can decide what to do with the vacuum advance. Either adjustable or get a vac gauge and buy yourself whatever canister looks like it will best suit your engine. If you decide to fine tune it, lots of people here can help.

Good luck!

Chris
jeanbonjeanbon1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeanbonjeanbon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 5:33am
thanks, ccowx but i'll trow it in for now and will fine tune it later on. There are too many things to look at right now but really apreciate your comment. The car is still on the rotisserie and the engine is on the start stand never runed, wil probably come with a lot more questions since i bought it ten years ago and it was a mess except for an Arizona bodyGeek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic