TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 American "The Smurf"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 American "The Smurf"
    Posted: Aug/27/2016 at 10:07pm
After making a handful of updates on the "what did you do to the AMC today?" thread, I decided it was probably time to start a project thread.  For those that haven't seen the pictures I posted back when I picked this car up in March of this year, it is darn close to smurf blue.  I kinda like the color, lol.  Anyway, I've done all of the usual things that come with owing a new (old) car.  Cap, rotor, plugs, wires, battery, a complete cooling system overhaul, etc, etc...

The engine has been painted Ford blue, or something close to it, and it was pretty sickening.  Still is, actually.  Luckily, a chrome valve cover, breathers, and oil fill cap makes it more tolerable.  

Spent the last several days repairing all of the under dash wiring.  Why must people think they can rewire/add things to a car better then the factory?

I took the advise another member gave in my first post about this little car, in using Tamiya (I think that's right) translucent paint to recondition the corner marker lenses.  It seems to work very well.  One resprayed amber lense, one practically clear.

A few months ago, I picked up a pair of seats from a KIA (yes a KIA) and I have begun to fit them to the car.  They really are pretty comfortable.  The rear mounts are two different heights.  I found that cutting the tall one off kept the seat on an even keel.  I should only have to make another mount of the matching height to fasten it down.  Will have more pictures as I do the work.

Still have several things to do.  Lots, really.  I have to pull the windshield out due to rot in the driver's lower corner.  Hope to have this completed by the 24th of next month so I can drive the Smurf to All AMC Day in Boonsboro, MD.

Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2016 at 10:44am
Nice. The only drawback to changing the front setas is the need to re-upholster the back seat. Unless the Kia back seat can be made to fit.

Later!
Mr. Ed

P.S. After watching the new show on FX, the name Smurf has new meaning. (No, I don't remember the name of the show. It'll come back to me).

Edited by Mr. Ed - Aug/29/2016 at 8:51am
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2016 at 1:35pm
I had not even thought about trying to use the KIA  back seat...  Will have to look into that.  The original back seat is rough and needs re-upholstering anyway.  Was going to have upholstered in blue and grey.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2016 at 6:44am
IF the Kia back seat is anywhere close to the dimensions of your original you can pull the upholstery off the Kia seat and put it on yours with some hog rings. I have an Eagle Premiere rear seat in my 63 wagon. It's all foam with a heavy wire frame. The back is thicker than my original so the seat no longer folds forward and flat without removing the seat bottom, but no big deal for me. I had to cut the wire frame for the bottom in the rear corners to clear the wheel wells. Just pulled the fabric in and refastened with hog rings. Looks good, feels good...
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 9:27pm
Been a long time on updating this! I won't bore everyone with all that I have done to the car since the last time I posted in this thread. Instead, I will focus on what I have been doing these last few weeks.

I have more and will post them shortly.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 9:52pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 8:14am
Looks like you welded up pad holes, so will go with a metal only dash. How the heck does a corner of the dash get bent up bad though???
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 9:09am
That corner had no corner, lol. I had to make one.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 9:28am

232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 9:29am
This was my first time ever using body filler. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic