TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 American Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 American Seats
    Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 11:16am
I have a set of split bench front seats from 69 American. They have a provision for tilting forward.   They appear to be identical dimensionally to the seats in my two SC Ramblers. The only difference is they do not recline fully backwards. I assume there is a stop in the reclining mechanism that prevents the full backward motion.   Has anyone converted these to fully reclining? I would like to be able to offer them to someone doing a rogue or SC Rambler - but want to be sure they will work. Thanks - JJ    
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 12:31pm
If you mean a solid bottom,  and split back that pivot slightly toward the center as they tilt forward,  then no they can't be converted to fully reclining, matter of fact they don't recline at all. 
 These were the seats from a 220 2dr, sedan right?

If they have a solid bottom cushion, and the split backs pivot straight forward,  yes, they should already be reclining, something might be jamming the mechanism.   But I don't remember 69s having that option on the solid bottom bench seats in 69..

Or if you mean separate bottom and top,  yes they should be reclining now, something might be jammed in the mechanism also.

Or maybe in 69 they changed the mechanism so they wouldn't fully recline. You might take off the outer cover,  and see if there's a block in the reclining mechanism that prevents full use.

I had fully reclining individual seats in my 69,  but I took them from a 66 Ambassador 4dr sedan,  they wouldn't tilt forward until I took off the reclining mechanism cover and removed a block in it.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/25/2017 at 12:40pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
SANCAPJJ View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SANCAPJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 12:44pm
Yes they are split top and bottom - just like the ones in my SC Ramblers.   They came out of a 69 American - 4 door. At the time I needed a set for my second SC Rambler project so I grabbed them. I have since sourced a set from a 69 Rogue. - JJ
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 7:11pm
At some point in production they started making them so they wouldn't fully recline,  I think it's when they started putting the streamlined head rest on the seat,  because they couldn't go all the way down with the head rest on the seat.

Even the early cars when they did fully recline,  it was only when the seat was fully forward, and the optional headrest was removed.  Then they'd go down flush with the back seat bottom.
You could get a optional bracket that slid under the back seat bottom and supported the front seat in the fully reclined position.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic