TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68-70 AMX rear window louvers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68-70 AMX rear window louvers
    Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 8:31pm
Will like to get some info on 68-70 rear window louvers. I heard that after market ones were made but not from the factory?
Will 77 and 78 AMX rear window louvers fit the 68-70 AMX? Anyone know of someone who manufactures louvers for the 68-70 AMX ? I heard that custom ones could be made?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
1972 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
1973 Gremlin X 304 4 speed
1973 Amx Pierre Cardin A/C 401 Auto
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 8:42pm
Use the "search" feature at the top of the page; click "advanced search" then type in "rear window louvers"  match-all-words. Then go to the "search" date, choose "any date" and when you hit the search button it will show you all the discussions we've had on this. None seem to be definitive, but people have successfully used '77 Hornet AMX, and '78 Concord AMX louvers on Javelin and AMX rear windows.

(And maybe someone who has done this will help out here!)

And you are correct, the '68-70 AMX and the '68-74 Javelin did not get these from the factory. They were strictly aftermarket.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 10:10pm
The Hornet AMX ones can be used, but I was told you have to drill the brackets into your roof. That was not the route for me. Every once in a while, the 68-70 shows up on ebay. I have a set on my AMX. All four brackets slip under the stainless molding, and are held in place with 3M tape.

Here is a walk around video of my AMX, You may see what they look like in it.

JDK
69 BBG AMX #09007 "If it's to loud! Your to old!:"    jax-AMXpress@msn.com
AMO #1945
jackdk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackdk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 10:21pm
BTW...
You might want to check with forum member 401MATCOUPE. He might have a set, or know where you can get them. I don't know what you want to pay for them. I paid 400.00 for mine, and many consider that a bargain, and I've seen them go allot higher on feebay...

Thumbs Up
69 BBG AMX #09007 "If it's to loud! Your to old!:"    jax-AMXpress@msn.com
AMO #1945
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2013 at 11:16pm
If you can weld aluminum then get the later set and make them fit the earlier years better around the window. The aftermarket versions are flimsy. The later versions are thick and very sturdy. The aftermarkets were at 700 bucks new. I have both and plan to use the later version when I have the time to reweld it to fit better. I plan to use the 69-70 Mustang hinges and latches. Yes, you would have to put holes in the body to do that. You can fab up the laters to mount either way. They originally mounted to the SS trim. The two lower corners had pins that went through the lid to the drip edge and were pinned down that way. So that wouldn't work on our cars.    
AMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2013 at 7:30am
I know where I could get some louvers from a 78 AMX. Also have someone that could replicate the originals in aluminum but would need the measurements for them along with pictures. I am also not keen on drilling the body to retain the louvers. Like the idea of the brackets siding into the stainless steel and using 3m tape.
1970 AMX 401 4 speed BBG
1972 Gremlin X 401 4 speed
1973 Gremlin X 304 4 speed
1973 Amx Pierre Cardin A/C 401 Auto
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2013 at 8:10pm
I HAVE 2 SETS OF 77 HORNET LOUVERS ( I THINK)  THEY HAVE THE HINGE ON THE TOIP.  THEY SORT OF FIT IF YOU MOUNT THE HIUNGE ON THE ORRF..  ANYONE ONE GOT A BETTER WAY TO USE THESE?  THEY ARE WELL MADE.
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2013 at 10:18pm
I or someone else will have to post some pics of the repopped louvers on how they mount to the window trim and this can be fabbed and replicated to the later model AMC versions. The top of the later AMCs hinged off of the top trim which requires drilling of the trim to mount this. The lower corners are the only thing that you really would have to modify to mount to the early cars. The upper corners overlap the trim by 2 inches or so so it can be used as is with lower corner mounting modifications. I am just stating what I am being overly particular about and would like to do so it looks like a factory made piece.

Most people think the aftermarkets are just fine as they are. I just owned a 70 mach 1 with very nice ones like the later AMCs so now I prefer nice and thick louvers with strong mounts and latches. IMO, the best method to making these fit is the trim them down some and mount these as the repops were done so no mods are needed to the car. Repopped louvers brackets can easily be removed from the car so yeah they can be stolen fairly easily by just shifting the louvers around. Maybe not the best thing to post on the net.       
jagdiv View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagdiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2014 at 1:38am
Hello, was wondering if you still have these louvers available? What would you be your asking price?
Thx Much
Rocket Man View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2019 at 10:34am
I have a 1968 Javelin. I am looking for rear louvers. I have not been able to locate quality aftermarket louvers yet. I understand the 77 Hornet AMX & 78 Concord AMX factory louvers can fit. Can anyone help me? [:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic