TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68-70 AMX & Javelin Heater Control Cables

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68-70 AMX & Javelin Heater Control Cables
    Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 12:54pm
I just made up three more heater control cables for the 68-70 AMX and Javelin V8 with intake manifold mounted heater valve. $25 each plus shipping.

These have a slightly smaller housing OD than original, so aren't for concourse restorations, but are super smooth acting and durable. The center cable is stainless steel, and slightly thicker than original so it has less tendency to buckle. The outer plastic housing is steel reinforced and Teflon lined. I was shocked at how smooth the heater control feels with this cable (and a new heater control valve didn't hurt either).

I be making up sets of Temp, Def, and Air cables for non-AC cars pretty soon, need to order more materials.

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 12:59pm
With the smaller housing od how are they kept from sliding with the original clips that hold them stationery?
they call me Capt Fun.......!
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 2:02pm
That's a good question.

My original heater cable had a plastic covering over a spiral wound wire core, and at each end the plastic material was removed for a few inches exposing the reduced OD of the wire core. That exposed are was the section that was mounted at the control panel and at the heater valve.

The plastic cable housing I'm using is approximately the same OD as the original spiral wire core, so it's a very nice fit at both the control panel end and the heater valve end.

Here's pic showing mine next to the original - 

Also the outer plastic is soft enough that the two little teeth on the retainer clip bite right into it and hold it rock solid at the control panel. All my old originals plastic ones were so hard and brittle I could never get them to stay put at the control panel, but these sure do.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Jul/17/2019 at 5:54pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:33pm
I will take one! Or reserve a "set" when you get them done if it's not going to be tooooooo long? SmileEither way works for me. Thanks...Ty
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:56pm
Looks good!
they call me Capt Fun.......!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 5:56pm
I was planning on starting to make up sets next month and list them here and on ebay when I get them done, so it won't be too long.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Jul/17/2019 at 6:14pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
MrGreen View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrGreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2019 at 9:11pm
PM sent 
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 10:32am
So many ways to spend money....

Looks like quality stuff. Nicely done!

1970 AMX. Holy Crap its easy to spend money on this car!
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 12:56pm
When I swapped in the new cable and new heater valve the feel was so different and took so little effort compared to what I had before that it was shocking. I had to look to make sure the heater valve was even moving.

Previously I had to grab the lever with both hands to try to mash it open, and invariably the cable would pop loose from the control panel or it would bend out at the valve. Eventually I ended up having to stop the car, open the hood, and manually turn the valve if I needed the heat turned on or off. Not any more!
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2019 at 1:33pm
I also would be interested in a heater valve cable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic