TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Rambler American with 199

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Rambler American with 199
    Posted: Jun/30/2015 at 7:38pm
I wasn't able to find the thread, so please help me find it in case I missed it.....

I'm looking at a '68 Rambler American with a 199 and I'm not too familiar with potential issues that come up with these engines. The current owner has sent me a vid with it starting up and revving, so it does run. I'm hoping someone can provide me with help\tips\info as to what to look out for with these engines?

Also, if anyone has any good overall tips to look out for any glaring issues to specific these cars exhibit it would be appreciated. I'm aware of the notorious areas such as rear fenders, truck pan, windows, etc..

Thanks for the help!

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 1:18am
Do you know about the Jeep 4.0L, 232, and 258 engines? They're basically the same as your 199. The only real difference between a 199, 232, and 258 is the stroke and on the 4.0L the bore as well.

So the 199 has every bit the reputation of those other engines and is actually probably even more reliable because the 199 is just a strong yet it produces less power so it's components are not as stressed.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Bill Mitchell View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Mitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 7:52am
I have a 68 American with the 199 engine. I have not had any trouble at all with the car. Runs great and is reliable.
Bill Mitchell

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 11:02am
There are a couple of things to look for:

They oil through the rocker shaft and if oil changes aren't kept up, the oil passage between the head and block gets clogged up and blocks the flow of oil. As a quick check, start the car and pull the oil fill cap off. If you can see oil flowing and things look wet, it's likely fine. If this is a problem, it's pretty simple to fix. See http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/boltmod.shtml for info on how to fix it.

The age issue has to do with the valve stem seals. As they age, the seals break into chunks and find there way into the oil pan. They then get sucked up into the oil pickup and eventually block it which cuts off oil flow to the engine. If you see oil flowing through the oil fill cap, it's likely not an issue.

Intake and exhaust manifolds tend to warp with age. This is more of a straight six problem that anything AMC specific. Take a look at http://www.mattsoldcars.com/RestoreAmerican/loose_intake.shtml for replair information.

The last common problem is the heat riser valve getting stuck shut. This kills power and fuel economy and can cause the carb to flood. You can sometimes free them up with penetrating oil and some patience but they sometimes get rusted up so bad that you need to cut them out. Again, this isn't anything AMC specific but something to be aware of.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
mrclut View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 9:02pm
Appreciate the help fellas
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 6:23am
Matt covered everything I can think of... with one exception. The auto choke. It has a tube that runs through the exhaust manifold. If the choke is sticking or not working pull the cover. If it has carbon inside the tube has a hole in it in the manifold. The tube runs THROUGH the manifold. Drill it out and insert a piece of steel tubing (brake line). Drill the hole to the OD of the tubing then put the tubing in the freezer for a couple hours. Should slide right in, but a little WD-40 won't hurt.

Alternately, you might be able to install an electric choke, depends on the carb used.
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 5:07pm
Just a point, but the bellhousing pattern changed after '71 so only pre '72 AMC 6 cyls (199 and 232 plus '71 only 258) fit and the starter also changed sides at the same time which makes it easy to spot. late '68-'72 IHs also ran some AMC 6s with small bell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic