TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Javelin SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Javelin SST
    Posted: May/29/2016 at 1:31pm
When I was a little boy and my father took to the drag races and I saw a lime green AMX or Javelin(can't rightly remember) I always liked the AMX/Javelin. Well, I just purchased a 68 Javelin SST, with a 343/auto as my first AMC project. I cannot wait to get started as I can pretty much go a couple of ways with the car. In the purchase I did also get another entire 68 Javelin 290/4 speed car totally disassembled. The body was pretty much just a rust bucket, so I got all the parts from bumper to bumper, but left the chassis. I will probably be having parts for sale in the future as I have 2 of everything.

I will be looking forward to the AMC Forum to help me restore/build my Javelin. Happy Memorial Day, my deepest respect to those who gave all for this great country!

Edited by Jay68SST - May/29/2016 at 1:47pm
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 4:06pm
I saw that pair on craigslist and hoped that someone here on the forum would snap them up and not try to flip them.   Good luck with your project. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 5:32pm
I'd like to see some pictures!  Lol.  Congrats on your purchase.
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 11:27am
Hopefully I can follow instructions and get my pic to post.

Edited by Jay68SST - May/30/2016 at 11:48am
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 11:29am
A friend of mine and myself went in together, he needed some parts for his 68 AMX, and I needed a project.
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 11:49am
Second photo:

Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 11:02am
Ok, question of the day is...Do I keep the automatic or do I do a 4 speed conversion. I have all the components to do the swap, but I won't be doing any racing, mostly just cruising and a hard launch every once in a while. I know selling the auto won't bring hardly anything while the clutch assembly, T-10/4 speed trans, original shifter, bell housing and crossmember could be sold and the $$$ could go back into the project. But having a Javelin 343/4 speed car would be so cool also.

Any suggestions out there?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 11:33am
Do you plant to drive it often?   Do you plant to drive it in dense traffic?   You might get tired of shifting.  Do you eventually want an overdrive?   Standard (T-10) will probably be easier to convert it to T-5 at some later date.   Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2016 at 11:53am
It would be a weekend driver to local cruise, shows and maybe some AMC shows, and not really any hard traffic. I live in a rural/small town area.
Jay68SST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay68SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 11:34am
Bought a 78 Matador for 200 bucks and I am in the process of swapping out the original disc brakes for the larger Matador brakes.

Made a stupid mistake a couple of weeks ago.  Wasn't planning on pulling the motor, just wanted to get it running since it hadn't ran since 98'.  Took the spark plugs out, sprayed a mixture of Marven's Mystery oil and Seaform. Let it set for a couple of days and turned the motor by hand. Found TDC #1, replaced plugs, removed the distributor to prime the oil pump.  Well I needed to make a tool to spin the oil shaft, so I drilled a hole through an old socket and welded in a pin to place over the shaft. Well, while priming the engine by spinning the homemade tool the pin came out (never was a good welder) somewhere in the timing chain cover.  I took a magnet and tried to locate, but could find.  

So..the motor is coming out and a tear down is going to take place.  I bought a nice larger cam, timing chain, lifters, push rods and valve springs.  I figure I will pull the pistons and replace the rings and bearing if necessary.

Brake pics will follow in a couple of days

Edited by Jay68SST - Aug/08/2016 at 11:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic