TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 bw transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlswaggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 bw transmission
    Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 8:27am
thinking about swapping bw m11 in my 68 rebel 343 v8, for a jeep 727.  can get one made for amc cars.  is there any mods I will have to do for this swap?  rebel is floor shift.  will shift linkage connect properly?  is there a throttle linkage on these 727s like on mopar 727s?  what mods to driveshaft?  I figure length will have to be modified but what about yoke?
68 rebel sst
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 1:10pm
Crank end will need to be modified.
Yes, you'll need to configure the kickdown linkage.
You'll also need a speedo cable adapted to the 727, and some driveshaft changes.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 7:00am
There are two different crank to trans adapters. One requires machining the crank, so crank has to be out of engine. The other uses a 1/4" spacer between bell and engine, no machine work required. The AMC vendors (Kennedy American, APD, maybe Galvin's) should have both listed.

I'd use a Lokar cable for the throttle linkage. Can't run without the linkage as it controls internal trans pressure as well as kick-down. I don't think they have an AMC specific listing, but the trans and linkage is the same as on Chrysler cars, and their cable does work on AMC applications.

You will likely have to have the length of the driveshaft modified, and will need a 727 trans yoke. Talk to the local driveline shop and ask them how they want you to measure for the shaft. You both need to be on the same page!
Frank Swygert
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 2:03pm
I intend to do a column to console conversion on my 68 Rebel SST 343. Let me know how this goes, since I also intend to use a 727 with an original console/shifter.

Thanks!
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
Rebelde67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebelde67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 2:54pm
Also very interested I have an M11 and have had the transmission shop rebuilt it for the 3rd time! It keeps burning it out sleeping completely after less than a 100 miles? I am considering modifying a T-10 or another automatic weighing in my options at this time? Any suggestions?

Have owned my 67 Rebel SST 343 for over 20 years.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Rebelde67 Rebelde67 wrote:

Also very interested I have an M11 and have had the transmission shop rebuilt it for the 3rd time! It keeps burning it out sleeping completely after less than a 100 miles? I am considering modifying a T-10 or another automatic weighing in my options at this time? Any suggestions?

Have owned my 67 Rebel SST 343 for over 20 years.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you really need to find a shop that KNOWS how to rebuild a M11. There is no reason in the world that a correctly re-built M11 should be burning up in less than 100 miles. I would call Galvin's and see if they can recommend a reliable shop there on the west coast.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Rebelde67 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebelde67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 3:49pm
I won't and I don't thank you. Will do ask around a fellow AMCer because I have tried 3 different shops in town and they are all useless in my opinion when it comes to AMC. Thank you will do that before I go through a large modification and cost.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 5:37pm
The M11 should be fine for many tens of thousands of miles unless you are drag racing it, something definitely isn't right. The 11B from a 70/71 360 would offer some improvement in durability without needing any modifications to fit.

The old Borg Warner is a pretty simple transmission and it's certainly something you can build yourself if you are mechanically inclined.
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2018 at 6:47pm
The BW automatics have a Ravigneau gear setup, while the TF uses a Simpson gear setup. The FMX was probably the last domestic trans to use the Ravigneau setup, but it was based on the original BW design. Ravigneau transmissions can be built just as tough as Simpson transmissions, but aftermarket support is slim. Simpson trannies are preferred by the masses because there's so much more parts availability.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic