TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX trunnion rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatthawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 4:33pm
Well, I wasn't too concerned with the lower o-ring getting squished because it's life expectancy is probably minimal anyway. I guess I will take a look at the one that didn't go down to the shoulder and see why. Then maybe lessen the torque spec to 30 ft lbs and a nylon lock nut.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 6:05pm
Was hoping for a better resolution scan, but here is a decent original AMC section image of a Trunion and components assembled onto the Kingpin:

SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 8:02pm
In the bottom picture, the trunnion is clearly not seated on the steering knuckle correctly. There should be no visible gap between the bearing and the bottom of the knuckle.
phatthawg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatthawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 9:00pm
Interesting. Thanks!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 11:22pm
as everyone says above.

it's a thrust bearing. the bearing has a top and a bottom, the top includes the outer dust shield, contacts the trunnion casting and doesn't move once installed. the knuckle sits up "into" the thrust bearing. before you install it (you probably have; but check out the old one) you can grasp the bearing and stick your thumb into it and rotate the inner part. i find it useful to figure out how this stuff works, in detail, then i'm not stuck trying to memorize or copy. and sometimes replacement parts don't look exactly like originals and knowing how it works helps a lot.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

phatthawg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatthawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 5:06pm
phatthawg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatthawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 5:10pm
So quick update. When rebuilding with Prothane bushings, the pic above of a washer is the washer supplied with the kit. When installed on the trunion knuckle then the stock washer and lock nut over top and tightened down to 35 foot pounds, it leaves a gap. That's completely normal because the weight of the car and tension of the spring will close that gap to where it needs to be. All figured out between myself and the guru from Prothane.
Ralph G. View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph G. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2019 at 6:23pm
I’m planning on doing mine this winter. Yay.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 7:58am
If the correct orientation of the trunnion bearing is open face side down ( which makes sense ) then what is the correct placement for the two different O rings and the nylon washer ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2019 at 8:26am
In case anyone is looking to avoid the prothane bushing deal, buying these trunnions from rare parts they supply you with brand new OE style bushings.  As far as I know, it is the only way to get the correct bushings.  I’m not trying to beat a dead horse, I just want people to know there is another option.  Andy

69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic