TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Interior Colors (Tan)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 4:03pm
The radio pods in 68 had textured Vinyl padded sides on them so they are easy to detect if they are original 68 part, in 69 the pods became 1 piece ABS plastic.

These tended to fade a bit as well, my 50 year old original pod is still in decent shape, need to use adhesive to get the sides back into position on the frame of the pod, and there are a couple of spots where the original tan paint is flaked off...I think a vinyl dye could be used successfully here, but I am not going to do anything to it other than re-glue the vinyl back to the sides....

I agree with the idea that because the dash parts were contracted out to different sources to produce that that is the reason the individual dash assembly components don't match quite perfectly....in the case of the radio pods I think AMC wanted the pods to match the ABS frame of the lower dash , which again in 68 was a gold shade,and that was the intent but the radio pods were more on the tan side.

Edited by 348AMX - Apr/20/2017 at 7:19pm
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 11:04pm
here's another original 68 AMX tan interior, not sure about the center speaker pod on this one though, might be custom, the rest looks OE survivor....this is another one with the sand colored steering wheel too.

jav343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 3:16am
IMHO, when it becomes time to re-color vinyl or plastic interior parts, I highly recommend SEM products. Do it right the 1st time so you don't have to do it again. I just spent 2 weekends prepping and re-coloring the bezel, radio pod, ashtray, center console and upper console in the 68. I had a miss-mash of parts (red, tan, etc) that needed to go to black and they turned out very nicely. It's all in the prep.
2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L, 1997 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L, 1968 AMC Javelin 5.6L 
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2017 at 11:14pm
I redid the dash in 2006, I replaced the original dash which had typical cracks in the top near the mounting holes, but it also had been damaged where the ignition switch is as the car was actually broken into when owned by the previous owner, they had smashed all the plastic around the ignition switch, but luckily never got the car started.

20 years later I replaced the original busted up dash frame with another 68 dash, a black one, and left it black for contrast, and then redid the top with vht tan dye...the insstrument cluster and the headlight and wiper switches are the originals, the passenger pad is original, as are the a pillar trims,and door cards, and the steering wheel..the seats are original 69 tan which are darker than 68's...going to keep those as is just have to install the repro carpet I have and a headliner after the body re-do is done....which is why the console isnt installed in this pic or the radio cluster. But the dash looks as good as it did in 2006 when I did it over.

Edited by 348AMX - May/01/2017 at 10:11am
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 7:21pm
fun topic, I have a 68 with tan interior.  The steering wheel is black in the AMX story brochure but I'm not sure why as there are very early (1967 production) Javelin road tests with the tan steering wheel- certainly before the AMX story was printed.  The tan steering wheel is something like a "butterscotch" type color IMO.  As said, nothing really matched- although the painted parts should certainly be very close if not identical.  There were two different color tan speaker covers and one was a better match than the other.  One was much darker like the above pic.  The passenger crash pad turned purple from the sun exposure.  The radio pod in the top pic on this page does not look like the correct color.  The seats, door panels, armrests, kick panels and rear interior quarter panel covers matched well- light shade of tan.
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 7:43pm
This one has the darker speaker cover and the steering wheel matches my car.  Kick panels are darker than my car, mine match much better :)

Does anyone have a 68-70 era color pic of a 68 tan interior.  I only have one 1968 road test with a color pic of a tan interior 68 AMX, in Auto Topics.  Any other exist?

Originally posted by Ohio AMX Ohio AMX wrote:

Here is the original dash from the '68 AMX that I restored a few years ago.

348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 5:29pm

Just took these pics today

On the left is the original 50 year old center pad speaker cover that was in the car when I got in 1987, it is a gold tinted "brown" matches Ohio AMX's original 68 AMX as well on this page, the previous owner had cut out the speaker section and installed a set of gauges, otherwise it was in really nice shape...has a 68' date on back that I think is march..the one installed on the right is what I replaced it with in 2006.

This next pic shows the darker brown installed ..this one also had a 68' stamped on the back....you can also see the woodgrain on the original steering wheel pretty well in this pic.   The front facing section of the passenger crash pad is original and has a slight purple fade to it, but I extended the dye I used on the dash frame and applied it around the outside edges of the pad and if you look you can see that I left the front of the passenger pad the original tan with the slight fade to purple original so that it still matched the original radio pod which also had a slightly faded to purple dark gold tan. The radio pod color in my car matches ohio AMX's orginal pod as well as the others here, except where the radio section is as mine is all the same shade and I had enlarged the opening for a kenwood stereo back in 1999,

My Idea of leaving the dash structure black on the bottom section was so that it would offset the instrument cluster bezel, the center pad and the passenger pad and make them stand out and give depth. I still have the original Tan gold glove box to use to get an exact match if I ever decide to put the bottom section back to original color but I probably wont.

I don't think its a big deal to individualize a bit on these tan interior's, they are unique obviously with the different shades from the factory, but they have all faded and would need to be redone anyway to get the original shades as they were, and as different as they were. It's a unique challenge but it can look really nice with some custom highlights.

Edited by 348AMX - May/05/2017 at 11:41am
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by MadKaw MadKaw wrote:

All,

I'm in the process of redoing the interior on my 68 AMX with tan interior.  I was able to find the Poly Tan that is used on the dash but there appears to be a couple of other shades of tan/brown on the interior.  The kick panels seem to more closely match the door panels.  I would assume an pinch welding would also be that color.   Does anyone know what tan this would be?

The plastic pieces I have seem to be a darker color w/metal flake.  They appear to be darker than the dash, closer to a brown color.   Does anyone know for sure what color these should be?  Most of my plastic is garbage so I need to get new and paint it the proper color.   By looking at the back of the original pieces they have the same color over spray on the back so I assume this is the factory correct color on these pieces.

Also, what does the headliner get painted?   Would it match the doors, or this darker trim color?   Unfortunately the only interior color I have found paint info about is the Poly Tan.

I'm trying to keep the interior as original as possible so I'd like to mix up the various colors if I can figure them out.

Also if anyone has good pics of a 68 tan interior I'd like to see them as this may help me also.   A lot of my car was covered in vinyl etc so I really didn't have a good starting point with this car.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Tim

Can you post pics?
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

fun topic, I have a 68 with tan interior.  The steering wheel is black in the AMX story brochure but I'm not sure why as there are very early (1967 production)
Javelin road tests with the tan steering wheel- certainly before the AMX story was printed.  The tan steering wheel is something like a "butterscotch" type color IMO.  As said, nothing really matched- although the painted parts should certainly be very close if not identical.  There were two different color tan speaker covers and one was a better match than the other.  One was much darker like the above pic.  The passenger crash pad turned purple from the sun exposure.  The radio pod in the top pic on this page does not look like the correct color.  The seats, door panels, armrests, kick panels and rear interior quarter panel covers matched well- light shade of tan.

I think your right.

Edited by 348AMX - May/08/2017 at 9:01pm
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2017 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Steve_P Steve_P wrote:

fun topic, I have a 68 with tan interior.  The steering wheel is black in the AMX story brochure but I'm not sure why as there are very early (1967 production)
Javelin road tests with the tan steering wheel- certainly before the AMX story was printed.  The tan steering wheel is something like a "butterscotch" type color IMO.  As said, nothing really matched- although the painted parts should certainly be very close if not identical.  There were two different color tan speaker covers and one was a better match than the other.  One was much darker like the above pic.  The passenger crash pad turned purple from the sun exposure.  The radio pod in the top pic on this page does not look like the correct color.  The seats, door panels, armrests, kick panels and rear interior quarter panel covers matched well- light shade of tan.

It's possible the radio pod in my car was redyed by the first or 2ND owner to make it all one shade of tan, there are hints that it could have been a black replacement, such as in the top corner of the left padded side where black is showing, also all these other original pads being posted are showing a shade around the radio faceplate that is more of a match to center speaker,AMX dash plaque pad and the pods are actually 2 shades. So you are probably right, when I got my car in 87 the original AM radio was in trunk and it had a an am/fm digital cassette player the pod, so it's possible/likely that whe that radio was installed the pod was redyed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic