TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 AMX Interior Colors (Tan)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 9:30pm
Here is the original dash from the '68 AMX that I restored a few years ago.

1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

About two years ago, I posted a picture of my 1968 AMX's tan (?)interior. I am the second owner. The AMX came with a detailed daily log of maintenance and parts purchased. No mention of interior parts other than a new head liner. The previous owner made the shifter handle. It still has the original carpet and upholstery. I was concerned about the mismatched colors of the dash. A member here said AMC farmed out the various dash parts to vendors and the interior colors usually didn't match.   

As stated someone replaced the original speaker pad or repainted it it should be dark brown. Your steering wheel is the same sand color as my OE wheel I was trying to describe, the rest looks original, just faded.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 12:26am
Found these pix on Yahoo Photo Gallery. They look to be the same car. I may repaint the a/c vents and speaker panel this shade (umber?).
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 5:34am
Javelin interior. Black steering wheel ?? Can't be sure that the carpet is the original.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 9:12am
I remember the carpet in my first Javelin was looking more green than beige after ten years. The colour mismatch is likely accentuated over time as the different materials age at different rates. So looking at pictures of original forty year old interiors is not going to be as accurate as looking at forty year old pictures of original interiors for determining colour variations.

I once saw pictures of a "restored" beige interior that was painted (incorrectly) all one shade. It looked so much better than what the factory did, but from a restoration standpoint, it was wrong.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 11:12am
I've seen 68 brochure pictures of tan interiors that show a black steering wheel, as well as the tan/sand colored steering wheel, so they got both, not sure what would be the deciding factor in the steering wheel color differences when the cars were built.

I actually like the contrast that the different shades give in the 68 interiors especially on the dash, the dark center speaker pad separates the 2 sides of the interior and accentuates it. When people paint the entire dash one shade of a light tan it takes away all the contrast.
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 4:59pm
 personally i love the tan interiors vs the black, but couldnt stand the 50 shades of tan, way too many contrasting colors.  i did all my interior parts in SEM in one color and i think it looks fantastic.   
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 6:24pm
I took this picture of an early production 68 at my local track. It's an unrestored car with original paint that the owner has bracket raced for a LONG time. It's a very clean original car with I bet 1000's of passes on it.

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
348AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 348AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 12:11am
That looks great, my center console had that exact gray sand shade to it before I recoated it
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 4:34am
Originally posted by 348AMX 348AMX wrote:

I've seen 68 brochure pictures of tan interiors that show a black steering wheel, as well as the tan/sand colored steering wheel, so they got both, not sure what would be the deciding factor in the steering wheel color differences when the cars were built.

Picking the first dealer brochure that I laid my hands on and finding the expected quotation on the last page which read in part; "This brochure contains information correct at the time of printing. American Motors reserves the right to discontinue or change specifications, models, equipment or price at any time with out incurring obligation."

very well may explain the difference in the color of the steering wheels.

As I work on an 80 AMX which is a base model for that year there are a number of items that crop up that raise a question as to the accuracy of what was standard and what was optional for that year on Spirits and AMX's when compared against the actual vehicle.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic