TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Ambo stalling at higher speeds (50-60)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Ambo stalling at higher speeds (50-60)
    Posted: Aug/21/2018 at 7:59pm
Took a test drive with the new fuel pump and I’m experiencing stalling at higher speeds (50-60). Had to pull over a couple times (luckily the hazards work!), let it sit, and then got myself home going 20-30. Gonna insulate the line to the carb tomorrow and see if this is possibly vapor lock. The hard line from pump to carb seems pretty close to the block/intake, but it also looks factory. Although the car has been driven around town (about a 15 mile round trip at speed) since I got it running without any of these symptoms. Changes since then: replaced fuel sending unit (which fixed the gas leak at the tank), new fuel pump and filter, trans pan gasket (which also leaks a bit), replaced fouled plugs (again, second time in a month), and then cosmetics (new wheels). I’m sure there’s a litany of things needing tuning, like timing, vacuum leaks, compression testing, gauges need connecting to tell me what’s up. Gotta keep plugging away! I really want to make it to Hines Drive this weekend, but can’t risk going far from home as it is.

Would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Thanks!

Brian
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2018 at 8:55pm
I lack real world hands-on now since i sold my car 4 years ago.
An outside Cowl mounted Fuel Pressure gauge may give some insight.
Have read reports of new (offshore) replacement mechanical pumps having "pressure problems"...
Some providing as high as 12 psi !  So... A Fuel Pressure Regulator may be a good idea...
Regulator mounted as close to carb as possible.
Which brings us to Fuel Pressure setting....  "Standard" is 5-6 psi...
There's a fella who rebuilds all kinds of carbs, has a web page and posts YouTube Videos
for customers where he runs their carb on a working motor / homemade "dyno" with load...
This fella claims modern blended fuels "require" 3-3-1/2 psi Fuel Pressure to function properly...
In some videos he even shows what happens when he cranks the fuel pressure up to 5 psi...
Things work "best" in his videos with MODERN GAS with only about 3 psi Fuel Pressure...
Not sayin' that this is right, just saying that's the demonstrated "info".

I'm guessing you may be getting some "inconsistency" in the Fuel Pressure with engine rpm's.

Suggest a Holley 1 to 4-1/2 psi Fuel Pressure Regulator mounted close to the Carb inlet
and an outside Cowl mounted mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge to monitor what happens.
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2018 at 11:38pm
Seems that your answering your own questions.
First the basics on tuning trouble shooting and then get to picking one off at a time.
You don't state vacuum, timing, points or ?, last PCV valve change (fouling plugs), fuel your using or how old the fuel is ...
Start with the basics and eliminate one problem at a time in the driveway.
Could be a bad ignition condenser, coil, carb rebuild, water in the tank, timing, but the basics will cover that.
I don't think there is one answer to your problem until you can narrow this down.
And it could be fuel pressure, but that can be tested in the driveway.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2018 at 4:37am
Fuel delivery is the most likely issue.
A heat riser valve stuck shut and over heating
the intake and carb are another.

Ignition issues are also a top contender.
Points set to close, a bad coil and other
related gremlins can cause this.

I would start with checking the points gap.

A running fuel pressure test at speed will tell you
if the fuel system is up to par.

To me this sounds like an intermittent blockage in the fuel system.

Gremlin Dreams
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2018 at 5:17am
Check that the fuel filter and its bowl are not filled with gunk. This has happened with my 68 after rebuilt pump with new filter. I checked everything else first including blowing air into the tank through the fuel hose that normally connects to the pump. Never thought it could fill with that much gunk so fast.

Anything over 40mph would do what you describe. The carb was running out of gas. Had to drive 200 miles like that.

If the filter was not before the pump (68) the pump would not have survived this.

Edited by maximus7001 - Aug/24/2018 at 5:21am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic