TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

68 Ambassador starter just whines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 68 Ambassador starter just whines
    Posted: May/08/2018 at 11:57am
Just bought this car knowing there was a starter issue. They previous owners said the car ran fine, but at some point the starter stopped engaging the flexplate. They said multiple bench-tested starters all did the same thing, yet worked in other cars. It's a 343 2v coupe with console automatic. I pulled the small 2 nut flexplate cover "window" (pictured) and there's no spinning inside when the car is started. Tried reaching in to move it without success. Tonight I'll pull the spark plugs, turn the crank and see if maybe the starter pinion was in a place with no teeth.

Is there a way to remove the larger cover? I removed all the bolts I could, but it seems to be part of the larger transmission housing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Brian
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 5:40am
That larger cover is a plate between the trans and engine. You'd have to unbolt the entire bell housing and pull it back about an inch to get that off. It fits over the transmission alignment dowels too.

Your plan sounds good. Could be the entire ring gear is worn all around or has come loose from the converter.
Frank Swygert
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 6:40am
Brian, we did not see that window when "we" worked on the car. I suggest you insert a brass drift in the window and tap on the flex plate to see if it moves forward or back. Any movement in that direction could confirm whether it has cracked and bent away from the starter teeth. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 9:04am
I pulled the plugs and turned on the crank bolt while watching through that flexplate window. It will turn less than half an inch and stop with a clunk sound at the flexplate. Turning it back does the same, so I think the flexplate is definitely misaligned or damaged. Would pushing it toward the rear of the car put it closer to the starter pinion? I'll try it tonight, but I've already started a search for a new (used) one.

Thanks!

Brian

Edited by skynless - May/09/2018 at 9:07am
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 9:47am
Pushing the flexplate to the rear will probably place it further from the starter pinion, depending on how it is tilted, if bent or broken. Brian, I might have an extra 343 flex plate, but I advise you to check with Galvin's too. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2018 at 10:06am
Joe, Galvin's online catalog only has a 6 cyl flexplate. I'll try calling in a few minutes, but let me know if you have one. I confirmed there is on on eBay for $325. If you can do better, I can wait.

Thanks!

Brian
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 4:53pm
I pulled the starter and it has the following ID:
MOTORCRAFT 12V U.S.A. 2
D5T - 11001 - AA G424C

The pinion teeth seem fine, it spins, and easily moves out and springs back.

With the starter out the crank turns by hand at the pulley, and the flexplate turns with it, no clunk sound or restrictions. The teeth look pretty good all the way around, and I don’t see any evidence of warping or movement as it turns.

Tried looking up this starter but it just brings up Ford starters and nothing specific, so I’m unable to tell if it should work.

I’ll add a photo of the flexplate where it looks the worst.

Thanks,

Brian

1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2018 at 11:02pm
 A guy just tells me it took him a while to figure out on an ATV that it wouldn't start because the new battery had been installed backwards and the starter was turning backwards. 

Sounds like if it is locking up the drive is too close into the ring gear.  Correct gear pitch on the drive?
skynless View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skynless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2018 at 1:53pm
Just tidying up some of my posts...

It was definitely broken welds on the ring gear. Replaced the flexplate and the car starts. Now to keep it running....

Thanks!

Brian
1968 Rebel SST 343
1968 Ambassador SST 343
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic