TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Rogue Drum to disc conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 8:12am
The set up I purchased was the complete brake set up off a 79 Spirit that was cut off at the control arm and tie rod. So basically I have everything including the riser to the later coil suspension. Spindles, dust shields, rotors, calipers, pads hardware. Everything's was rusty from sitting for years so several bolts or nuts were seized up. I replaced all the nuts and bolts with grade eight fasteners of the correct length. Took all the pieces apart and sand blasted everything to remove rust, then spray primed and painted with black satin finish. Rotors were not worn just needed to be turned to clean and true them up. I have looked and you can purchase the master cylinder for a disc front drum rear car that I was considering doing. Or looking for a power brake master cylinder. Is there a porportioning valve to change also?
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 8:53am
photos off of a 64 Classic with drum on the front. The area where the stud go through is fairly thin. I had trouble keeping the new studs in place as my were swaged and when removed became oversized.

this is the hub provided by Scarebird

64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 5:29pm
The Scarebird hub is a disc brake rotor with the rotor turned off, that's why it's so thick.

As far as a proportioning valve, you may not need one. I ran a 63 American without one (manual disc brakes, late 70s AMC similar to yours) and didn't have a problem with rear wheels locking up. Early disc brake systems all used some kind of proportioning valve. Cars with lite weight rear ends like the Spirit will use one, and need them. By the late 70s/early 80s Concords didn't have one, and many other cars deleted them also.

I would assemble it without a proportioning valve. Then take it out to a damp (wet, but no standing water) parking lot or a gravel/dirt parking lot/road. Run up to about 45-50 then slam on brakes, like panic stop. See if the rear brakes lock before the front. If they do the rear end will want to come around. Make sure you are driving straight, as a slight turn of the wheels will have the same effect. If the car brakes straight, even if all four wheels lock at about the same time, you don't need a proportioning valve.

I'd try again without hitting the brakes as hard as you can, but still stopping "hard normal", and what you'd consider normal braking. No rear wheel lock? No valve required. If the rears DO lock before the front under hard and/or panic stops conditions, you DO need a valve. I'd get an adjustable then adjust it until braking is good, but you could go for a 68-69 Camaro type. They are the same as used on 68-70 AMCs. Not adjustable, they start restricting rear brake pressure after 200 psi. That's a good place to start if you get an adjustable valve marked in pressure values.
Frank Swygert
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2016 at 8:50pm
Thanks for the info Frank. The reason i was wondering about purchasing a different non power master cylinder that is designed for disc front drum rear is i also have a "Rescued" 68 Ambassador that needs a new master cylinder. it has non powered drum bakes and i was thinking i'd use the Rogue master to replace the Ambo one, and install a new "Correct" master on the Rogue.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 12:29am
i found it easier on one car to simply juggle rear brake wheel cylinders to get front/rear balance. only a slight pain to install, and  good excuse to shotgun the rears if you haven't. 

in my experience in most cars, all master cylinders are quite interchangable, assuming you get fittings and mainly pushrod correct. there's no significant difference in any american brake system from the 40's through 90's. most are close to 1" bore, rarely will you see bigger than 1-1/8, or smaller than 7/8. rarely will you see single-pot stuff. port threads change. some do or do not have the residual valve under the inverted flare adapter, and i haven't found one that couldn't be pulled out like FARNA says. i use Dorman adapters to fit "Chevy" masters in my recent cars and bend stock pre-flared lengths of line to fit. 

i avoid power brakes, but you can decrease pressure at the pedal (but increase stroke length) with a SMALLER master cyl bore. eg. 15/16 instead of 1". small bore would mean lower fluid volume per stroke, but within the practical limits and choices, it's not a worry to fiddle 1/8".

bench bleeding the master cylinder is the trickiest part and drop-dead critical to good brakes. it often takes far, far longer than you'd ever imagine. i've spent 45 minutes getting every single tiny, tiny, tiniest bubble out, zero zero zero bubbles. no matter how insignificant they seem, even one is bad! must be level, in both planes. etc

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 5:52am
There were few cars made with non-power front disc brakes. IIRC AMC sold some with the K-H brakes, and they had a slightly larger MC bore. As Tom notes, a larger bore reduces pressure to the brakes, increases leg pressure needed. I'd stick with a 1" or 7/8" bore MC, or somewhere in between (I've seen a 15/16" bore, though it's not common). I think the late model Concords used something slightly under 1", might be 15/16" (books give a 0.889" or something like that, might be metric...). They would be disc/drum for the power brakes, but it really doesn't matter if power or manual brakes. The difference in construction is that manual brake MCS usually have something to retain the pushrod and the pushrod socket is deeper than PB MCs. Either will function manually though. 
Frank Swygert
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2016 at 6:15am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

There were few cars made with non-power front disc brakes. IIRC AMC sold some with the K-H brakes, and they had a slightly larger MC bore. As Tom notes, a larger bore reduces pressure to the brakes, increases leg pressure needed. I'd stick with a 1" or 7/8" bore MC, or somewhere in between (I've seen a 15/16" bore, though it's not common). I think the late model Concords used something slightly under 1", might be 15/16" (books give a 0.889" or something like that, might be metric...). They would be disc/drum for the power brakes, but it really doesn't matter if power or manual brakes. The difference in construction is that manual brake MCS usually have something to retain the pushrod and the pushrod socket is deeper than PB MCs. Either will function manually though. 

My 73 Javelin with power disc fronts were changed to manual disc, some time after 50k by the original owner, as the booster failed shortly before selling to me. Did not go into details, as the brakes felt just right. Never felt like heavy braking needed, and were very positive feeling. Looked like they kept the power disc master cylinder, just removed the booster and bracket, re-adjusted the rod to make it work. One of the best feeling brakes for a 70s and 80s car, without strain.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 1:33pm
The reason you need a proportioning valve is because your rear drums are self-energizing, which means they use the rotational motion of the drum to multiply the force of the shoes against it. Their braking force is exponential to the hydraulic pressure applied, meaning if you double the hydraulic pressure to them, you actually get quadruple the braking force. Meanwhile the disk brakes in front are not self-energizing, so their braking force is linear to the hydraulic pressure applied. If you double the pressure, you get double the braking force.

The purpose of a proportioning valve is to limit the hydraulic pressure to the rear drum bakes to make them respond in a linear fashion to hydraulic pressure to match the front disks. The proportioning valve tailors the pressure to the rear drum brakes in a reverse exponential fashion, linearizing their response.
The job of a proportioning valve is NOT to tailor the front to rear braking balance, that is he job of the wheel cylinder sizing. The proportioning valve makes sure that braking balance is the same for all brake application forces.

There is also something called a metering valve that works on the front brakes. It's purpose is to limit the flow of hydraulic pressure to the front brakes until the pressure reaches 100 PSI. This gives the rear brake shoes a chance to overcome their return springs and contact the linings before the front brakes start to operate. Since disk brakes don't have return springs, they would start to brake before the rear drums if not for the metering valve.

------------------------------------

That being said, there are ways around this:

One way is to use non-self-energizing (often called non-servo) drum brakes on the rear. These will respond to hydraulic pressure in a linear fashion like disk brakes, so a proportioning valve is not needed. You should still have a metering valve on the front disks though.

AMC found another way in the late 1970's. My 1977 Hornet has front disks and self-energizing rear drums without a metering valve or proportioning valve. They sized the wheel cylinders to give the proper front to rear braking balance under a hard brake application (right before wheel lockup), but without a proportioning valve this means that the rear brakes do almost completely NOTHING under light everyday braking. The linings almost never wear out because the front brakes do almost all the work. Also lacking a metering valve, you can feel the front brakes start to work before the rears.
All that being said, it stops extremely well. Just under light braking the fronts do all the work and then the harder you stop the more the rear brakes take up the load.

-------------------------------------

One more thing:

You don't need the residual pressure check valve in the master cylinder if your drum brake wheel cylinders have cup expanders. You must have either expanders or a check valve, but you don't need both.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/22/2016 at 6:53pm
While all that is true, it has been proven that in practical application neither a metering or proportioning valve is actually necessary if the brakes are balanced properly. There is little difference in practical application. Balancing has much more noticeable affect on the handling of a vehicle. 
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2016 at 9:05am
I skipped over the part where FSJunkie mentioned that later cars were balanced only. For some reason I just read it again and caught it this time.  The front brakes do most of the work even with metering and/or proportioning though. All the cars I've had, with drum/drum, disc/drum, and even disc/disc brakes go through maybe two sets of front brake pads before one rear set of shoes/pads... sometimes the rears last a good bit longer than twice as long as the fronts. I usually just replace the rears on the second set of fronts anyway though.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic