TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Ambassador Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 1:11pm
Wow! Looking great!
AMO Newsletter Editor
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 7:18pm
What size tires did you go with ? 205's or 215's ? When you put the wheel covers on virtually all of the wheel color will be hidden. Just the slightest rim edge will show. Could've left them all black.
The car's looking great. You're doing a fine, fine job.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 7:34pm
The sound quality of the 8 track is nothing to write home about and those under seat speakers are pretty poor as well. If you like the retro look of the 8 track sitting on the floor then go for it. The factory set up was the radio used the front speaker and the 8 track used two rear deck speakers on the sedans and hardtops. Convertibles used two small door speakers.

As far as I know the convertibles never offered a rear seat speaker option. I suspect one of the previous owners elected to add a rear seat speaker by cutting into the rear panel and adding a 6x9 speaker. I suppose that you could cut the opposite side panel ( horrors ! ) find a matching grille or a pair of suitable matching grilles and install a pair of 6x9 speakers ( assuming the speakers would clear the top cylinders and mechanism ) back there and use these for the 8 track.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 7:52pm
Not that I am the expert of the century on everything AMC, but this is one of the best and finest jobs I have witnessed on this Forum, and that is some pretty tough competition.  Congrats and extremely well done!!!
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 12:05pm
Thanks for all the nice comments! The car has certainly turned out much nicer than I was planning on when I started it over 3 years ago. I hope that people have enjoyed reading and seeing the updates and ups and downs of this restoration project. I know that I enjoy following other peoples projects on the forum and am constantly amazed by peoples resourcefulness and ingenuity. For tires, the options for 14 inch whitewalls are few and  I wound up going with 205/75s from Uniroyal. Was tempted to do 215/70 to get some more meat on the ground, but with 5 1/2 inch rims it did not seem like such a good idea. The front end was aligned yesterday and is now drive-able. As a matter of fact the odometer that I reset to zero now shows 50 miles. More pictures as I finish up with the little details.
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 5:21pm
I can't say how much I love this thread and this car!  Beautiful car!! 
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 10:33am
George, I know that you are correct in that little to no color will show on the wheels after the wheel covers are installed, but it was a good excuse to mix up some of the remaining paint and in the process touch up some of the inevitable chips that you get as you are putting a car back together.

But hey, you can see the nice pretty paint on the spare tire when the trunk is opened

Except when it's covered up by the spare tire cover which classes up the trunk area.

And here it is with the blue cleaned off the tires and wheel covers in place

And a shot of the the car in the front yard. I cleaned up and installed the outside passenger mirror, as well as the old hood emblem. There is a defect in the paint at the front of the hood that the guy who painted the car will fix as soon as I take it back to his shop. After that is done, I will install a new NOS hood ornament that has been sitting on a shelf in my basement for over 15 years.
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 1:30pm
Wow. It's all coming together! That hood ornament has been waiting far too long. Time to show it off!
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 7:42pm
WOW, it looks GREAT !
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 5:05am
Beautiful ...

Looks great...

Very well done.

Rich C.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1819202122>
  Share Topic