TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Ambassador Convertible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 8:45am
Thanks, I will be taking you up on the offer of expert input as I run into tricky situations. The car is disassembled and ready to get some automotive chemotherapy for the cancer. Dave 

Edited by fhpdave - Dec/18/2014 at 4:00pm
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 3:03pm
Added a link to some photos. There are a couple of before pictures, a few of some hidden rust, and a few of it ready to go to the frame shop.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/dhaugh1fhpdave/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads/1967%20Ambassador%20project

Edited by fhpdave - Dec/18/2014 at 4:00pm
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2014 at 8:13pm
Photos posted of before I started and as its going to the body/frame shop.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/dhaugh1fhpdave/library/Mobile%20Uploads/1967%20Ambassador%20project
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2014 at 5:53am
It looks like you're making good progress. The engine compartment looks particularly clean and the rust issues appear minor and should be easily addressable. I'll have to check but I believe your paint color was a mid year addition,
I have one question regarding the tail pipe. If your car was built mid model year I believe that the exhaust pipe(s) should exit at the rear under the bumper. Early 67's had what was called in the parts manual as a Type 1 tailpipe and later it was changed to Type 2, the rear exiting style, which was carried through to the end of the "big" car production. You may want to check into this when the time comes to replace any of the exhaust system.
Good luck on your restoration, it's a great looking car. It has the proper stance and the TurboCast wheel covers look great ( even though they wreak havoc with wheel balance !)
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2014 at 8:51pm
Well the car is at the frame shop getting all its underlying rust issues fixed to the tune of 3k. the tranny is rebuilt and I just picked up the block from the machine shop. Now i just need to find a decent passenger fender and some suitable material to repair the quarters after all the bondo is removed. Here is a link to some pics.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/dhaugh1fhpdave/library/Mobile%20Uploads/1967%20Ambassador%20project
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 2:17pm
Progress in the rust repair department photo 20140805_090716_zpsnprxp4dl.jpg
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 8:04pm
Engine all put back together - just trying to decide between chrome or painted valve covers photo 20140822_214723_zpsm7pnqz9t.jpg
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 8:34pm
I take it you're going for a custom look with the engine paint scheme you've selected. If you are, then the chrome covers have more bling. I'm curious though. It looks like the engine is a 343, 4 BBL for which the correct color in 67 is copper. Gold was used on 290 cars. If you are going for a stock look then the oil fill pipe, vibration damper and alternator bracket should be engine color.The power steering pump bracket, natural aluminum. Are you keeping the body the original color ?

Within months of me taking delivery of my brand new 67 DPL hardtop 343, the copper paint began flaking off of the valve covers. Even back then, the copper engine paint was not available in spray cans. I elected to paint the valve covers in black wrinkle much like some of the Mopars of the day. I was always pleased with the look. Now that I have the car back, the engine, once it's refreshed, will get painted 69 Alamosa aqua,the most common color readily available in spray cans. It will be easy to touch it up later and I never really liked the copper color anyway. It looks too much like rust to me. When I refreshed the engine on my black 67 convertible (done in 1984) I painted the engine 68 Caravelle blue. After 67, for the most part, all AMC V8's irrespective of displacement were the same color within the same model year, though the colors were changed over the years. I believe that in the 70's California bound cars and possibly those Georgia bound, had red engines. I'm sure there's posts here on the forum with the correct particulars.

I trust that the rest of the car will come out as nice as the engine.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 8:54pm
I looked for copper engine paint, but could not find it, so I went with gold which is what it was painted by the previous owner when he had it. All the things that I painted black had already been painted black, so I just repainted them for a cleaner look. I guess I am going for nice and clean and not necessarily stock at this point.  I am keeping the car the original color, but have a lot of repair to do in the quarters before its gets a fresh coat of paint.
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2014 at 9:03pm
There are 6 poorly done patches under a bunch of bondo in the quarter panel. On the positive side I just got this lift which my back is already appreciating! photo 20140903_205411_zpswnuem3sa.jpg
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 22>
  Share Topic