TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 Ambassador Convertable rims and tires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetmech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 10:55am
Thanks for the input that is what I was looking for so just to clarify better to go with 3.75 back space and maybe stick to 15” with a 60 series if I li want to preserve some rideability , maybe split the difference with a 16”

Any other with a suggestion on how wide I can go in back
Heavy 488 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy 488 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 11:12am
Not sure how far you can go, but I have 3 words of advice.
Measure
Both
Sides
67 Marlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 Marlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Jetmech Jetmech wrote:

Thanks for the input that is what I was looking for so just to clarify better to go with 3.75 back space and maybe stick to 15” with a 60 series if I li want to preserve some rideability , maybe split the difference with a 16”

Any other with a suggestion on how wide I can go in back

I believe the 1967 Ambassadors and Marlins (same front-end parts) had a 0.25" spacer between the wheel and rotor when new. Mine does not. With the 3.75 BS wheels, things are pretty close, but never in danger of hitting anything. There is about 3/8" of clearance from the tie rod and maybe that much up top near the spring mount. These are 14x6 1970s AMC Rally wheels, with 3.75 BS like the original 14x5.5 wheels. So, this'll give you the idea of how far you'd be, without a spacer, with 3.75 BS. Assuming that your setup sits like mine does. Also, there's a little tire bulge even with little 215/70 tires on the 14x6 rims; the bulge goes out about 3/4" out from the rim edge. These tires are 25.85" tall. Original tire height was between 26.8" and 27.4" for the 343 car. The speedo gearing was the same for either the 775-14 or 824-14 tires, so assuming 27.1" tall tires would zero the speedo. There are some real wizards like George on here who could probably tell you within three decimal points what it actually was!

On the back I've got 15x7 AMC Rally wheels. Those have 4.50" BS. So, they're 3/4" further in (closer to the parts) because OE was 3.75. I have enough room for 245/60 tires mounted on them and that's with mandrel bent 2.25" exhaust tubing. But, it's close and I wouldn't try 255/60. These tires are 26.57" tall.

I think if you had 3.50" BS up front (assuming you have the same geometry as me) and 4.25" on the rear, you should be set. You could probably go as wide as 8" on the back, don't know if 10s would hit your wheel arch lip like I think they would on my Marlin.

mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2020 at 6:46pm
Jetmech.....I have a 67 Ambo convertible registry and would like to add your car if you would not mind sharing some info.  Pm  me!  

Good luck with the wheels, i just went through that with my 67 hardtop.  
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic