TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

67 232 w/ Holley 1920

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 67 232 w/ Holley 1920
    Posted: Mar/04/2015 at 7:08pm
Found out late have bent push rod 3rd lifter back from front...
Darn snow coming in but hope do get it inside tomorrow pull head n see what's up....and get suggestions and recommendations moving forward....
Back to doin the Old Car Boogie thing!
67 Rogue Convertible 232 2bl Auto
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2015 at 8:52pm
A bent push rod could be caused by no more than sitting for a length of time with today's formulation of gasoline in it. At some point in time the gasoline evaporates to the point where there is a deposit in the tank similar to that of putting sugar in the gas tank as to what is going on. The first time it is run with that fuel it gets hot and the cools off and when that happens a valve gets stuck in the valve guide. The next time it starts the valve does not move and the push rod bends. Maryland is not Arizona there for the heat is not as bad, but it can still happen. "Should that be the case everyone has there favorite method of freeing that valve and mine simply is to take a squirt can such as an oil can filled with some Acetone and soak down the valve and shortly afterword's whacking it with a dead blow hammer. Repeated until the valve becomes free.
Then drain the gas tank, filling it with hot water and soap and some pea gravel and shaking it (it helps to remove the tank) or throwing it in the back of a pick up truck and driving around with it filled with soap and water for a while, drain, hose down with a pressure washer if you have one, drain again, dry and install, fill with gas change the oil in the engine and call it good to go. Being careful how you let the thing sit after that.
I have had my 80 AMX and my 80 Spirit both bend pushrods that way.
A quick check on the condition of the gas is to sniff it, if it smells skanky it probably is.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2015 at 9:15pm
Unc - Believe that is exactly what most likely happened.
Really appreciate you taken the time to share your knowledge / experience, tank cleaned and sealer is curing.
Crappy weather heading in so may not get to it till Fri but will let ya know if it frees up!

Thanks again - Doug
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 9:14am
TomJ did some research on this. Today's gas is a big part of the problem, mainly because the alcohol in it dissolves old residue in the old tank and cause that residue to circulate in the engine. Those fumes stick the valves. If you have a perfectly clean tank you don't have this issue. This occurs mostly in cars that sat for a long time and old gas evaporated out, leaving a residue in the tank. New gas will leave a residue under the same conditions, but not as much as the old stuff (from 10+ years ago).  Modern gas will keep the tank clean.

If you think the tank is part of the problem remove it and clean it out real good. Doesn't take harsh chemicals -- straight "Purple Power" or "Awesome" will work if you let it sit in the tank for a few hours. Any degreasing cleaner with citric acid will work, just buy concentrate and don't dilute with more than 25% water. Then rinse good after a few hours and let the tank dry out before reinstalling.

If you want to clean it faster or more thoroughly, use brick cleaning acid diluted per instructions to clean brick or concrete. That can be neutralized with baking soda once the tank is cleaned, and MUST be done before pouring out. You can slosh that around the tank for a few minutes and be done.

Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 4:28pm
I have just used laundry detergent and water, and have not had a problem yet.
And right, it happens in tanks that sat a while. The 76 Hornet I a m working on, with 76,000 miles and has been sitting in my driveway since I got it about 12 years ago was squeaky clean when I pulled it out to check it.
No problem, I guess it had never had todays formula gasses in it. But personally I don't think alcohol has anything to do with things. The south west has been running 15% alcohol or there about since I have lived here since 1979 and the problem started showing up where I could see it about 6 years ago.

And yes things have to sit awhile and preferably in direct sunlight.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2015 at 5:47pm
Hmm... might be the newer gas formulations. In any case, evaporated gasoline leaves a nasty residue, fresh gas on top of it dissolves it and runs it through the engine, causing stuck valves and other things. 
Frank Swygert
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2015 at 9:20pm
Got valve unstuck and switched to taking care of the fuel / vacuum / cooling systems.

Researching cuz it appears the 67 440 appears scary original except failed attemps messing with the vacuum line arrangement and blocks, believe the lower in-line heater hose had not been changed in 48 years. ( only Corbin Wire clamp left )

Thanks again all...

Doug
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2015 at 8:15pm
UPDATE;

Ended up with two bent pushrods and after going through fuel/cooling systems;

"IT'S ALIVE"

My brother ( a crack mechanic + the tools ) gave of his time and skills got it runnin pretty good for a forty eight year old car.
Funny how floaty the power steering is.

Thanks again for all's help in getting this engine to do what it was suppose too ...run again.

Doug

Edited by roguedoug - Mar/18/2015 at 8:41pm
Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2015 at 6:28am
If it has a Saginaw PS pump (I think that year does) you can adjust the pump pressure to get a better feeling steering. You need to reduce the pressure. Borgeson makes a cheap kit ($16.95 + shipping): http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001/overview.  You can rob another pump of spacers and add, but the kit is cheap enough and comes with instructions. It says "Mustang R&P" because that's the most common reason for reducing PS pump pressure -- the racks only want 800 or so psi, most PS boxes are 900-1000 for light cars. 100 psi makes a lot of difference!
Frank Swygert
roguedoug View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roguedoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2015 at 8:21am
Thanks will check it out.

Hope to get Pic's soon n post under project or(?)of her ( Claudia )!

Real nice 10 footer or better that had E in serial number ...research continues....

Doug

VIN A7KA55E100149

6705-5
747-C
08-72-A
E000749

Royal Blue 33A "ROSEBUD"
67 440 American 232 4D
08-72A "CLAUDIA"
AMO 10493
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>