TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '66 to '67 American Front Bench Seat Compatibility
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'66 to '67 American Front Bench Seat Compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTTComanche17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '66 to '67 American Front Bench Seat Compatibility
    Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 8:15pm
Ok, so I'm almost certain I need a new front seat for my '67 American (will confirm tomorrow). There is a front bench from a '66 American wagon for sale and I'm curious as to the compatibility between the years. Will the '66 seat fit and be mostly correct for my '67? I know some parts can be scarce, so I only want to jump on this opportunity if it will work. I'd hate to take this seat 'off the market' if it won't work for me and someone else needs it.

Easydean seems to have a pretty cost effective shipping set up so it could go anywhere in the US for way cheaper than I could ship it if it didn't work. If I buy it and it doesn't fit, it'd only be available locally. I want to keep as many of these cars on the road as possible!

Thanks in advance.
1967 Rambler American #1 - junkyard rescue parts car
1967 Rambler American #2 - project car, but it runs!...for now...
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 8:49pm
If your car is a 4 door, it will swap.  In a 2 door, it won't because a wagon front seat doesn't tilt to allow access to the rear seat of a 2 door car.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

If your car is a 4 door, it will swap.  In a 2 door, it won't because a wagon front seat doesn't tilt to allow access to the rear seat of a 2 door car.

Bob
tufcj
The seat for sale is a 2 door seat with a split back...Not an org wagon seat...And it has chrome sides not from a 220 model
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by RTTComanche17 RTTComanche17 wrote:

Ok, so I'm almost certain I need a new front seat for my '67 American (will confirm tomorrow). There is a front bench from a '66 American wagon for sale and I'm curious as to the compatibility between the years. Will the '66 seat fit and be mostly correct for my '67? I know some parts can be scarce, so I only want to jump on this opportunity if it will work. I'd hate to take this seat 'off the market' if it won't work for me and someone else needs it.

Easydean seems to have a pretty cost effective shipping set up so it could go anywhere in the US for way cheaper than I could ship it if it didn't work. If I buy it and it doesn't fit, it'd only be available locally. I want to keep as many of these cars on the road as possible!

Thanks in advance.
My 64 American and my 68 American have different seat`s...the 68 is thicker(More padding)Not sure what year that changed...But the floor pans are the same
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:16pm
My 66 had thick coil spring seats, and they felt like a living room sofa. My 67 had thinner seats with zig zag type flat springs, and they were firmer. I think they will swap, though.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2018 at 9:39pm
Don't know where you are in Cali but there are some fairly cheap 2 door Americans for sale up and down the state.  Good for parts or.....
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
RTTComanche17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTTComanche17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2018 at 11:07am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

Don't know where you are in Cali but there are some fairly cheap 2 door Americans for sale up and down the state.  Good for parts or.....

Where are you looking besides craigslist? I see two on there now, don't know if they'd part them out. All others I see are much older.

Thanks
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 6:13am
The seats will interchange. As tufcj says, you don't want a four door or wagon seat for a two door as the seat backs don't tilt forward, but you can use a two door seat in a four door/wagon. 
Frank Swygert
RTTComanche17 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTTComanche17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2018 at 12:07pm
Thanks for all the info, it really helps!

But, I guess it's time for an update:

I took a look at my seat, and it seems to be in better shape than I initially thought. So, I think I'm going to pass on the for sale seat for a couple reasons:
  1. It looks like my seat is repairable, it seems to be broken only under the driver's right cheek. Embarrassed
  2. I would most likely recover the bench anyway, so should be able to just fix mine while I'm there.
  3. Eventual, longer-term plans call for non-stock bucket seats anyway. I'm taller and my wife is shorter; when she drives, my knees are in the glovebox. Also, I really don't like the idea of whiplash if I were to get hit since I have no headrest. I'm actually selling my single cab truck (bench, no headrest) because if I were to get rear ended, my head would try to break the back window....
  4. Someone probably needs this more than I do.

Now for the question:

I was able to look under my seat and I think all my problems are due to some broken springs and I can't seem to find replacements. I can find zig-zag springs, coil springs, and support wires for around the edges, but I can't seem to find the broken part I saw. Between the coil springs in our seats are little extension springs that tie the top of the coils together in an x pattern. They look like mechanical pencil springs, just a little bigger. Does anyone know where to find these?

Worst case, I'm sure that I could track down a McMaster substitute or something, but it would be nice to not have to do all that leg work and just order seat specific ones.

Thanks!

***If no one answers here, I'll probably just re-post this question when i get around to rebuilding my seat. It will probably be another year or so before this makes it to the top of my to do list, this is mostly to see if someone has a quick answer and to help future me remember what I was doing/thinking....

Edited by RTTComanche17 - Sep/26/2018 at 12:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic