TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66 rogue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWBAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 10:23am
Yesterday i was able to remove some more parts on the car.

66 Rogue 360, 4 speed
68 American N Code 4 speed
Alliups View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alliups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 12:18pm
Sweet looking ride. Given that that is the biggest engine available that year, and it is a Rogue, plus a 4 speed you have a sweet model to build into a cool  little "runner". It looks like you plan to repaint. If so, and you intend to strip down to the primer level, could you document the color of the under bumper arae and hood, if the stock topcoat is underneath the present blue? If the stock topcoat is there then the stock primer is underneath. Thanks.
 Steve
RWBAMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWBAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Alliups Alliups wrote:

Sweet looking ride. Given that that is the biggest engine available that year, and it is a Rogue, plus a 4 speed you have a sweet model to build into a cool  little "runner". It looks like you plan to repaint. If so, and you intend to strip down to the primer level, could you document the color of the under bumper arae and hood, if the stock topcoat is underneath the present blue? If the stock topcoat is there then the stock primer is underneath. Thanks.
 Steve

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, I can document the color. I guess I will have to look it up on the body tag, or try to match the color with certain pain codes. When we go to paint it I will let you know what is under the paint that exists. When I do find out I will post it up. Gordon
66 Rogue 360, 4 speed
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2009 at 9:00pm

If you're going to pull the front fenders off, be aware that they are brazed to the rockers. You can probably just cut the blob of brazing off but you may need a torch.

You can find info for decoding the VIN and body tags at http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/17.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
RWBAMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWBAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:26am
Originally posted by KermitDRambler KermitDRambler wrote:

If you're going to pull the front fenders off, be aware that they are brazed to the rockers. You can probably just cut the blob of brazing off but you may need a torch.

You can find info for decoding the VIN and body tags at http://www.amcyclopedia.org/node/17.

Matt

Thanks for the heads up about the fenders I did not know they were like that. Do they have to be brazed when you put them back on? Gordon
66 Rogue 360, 4 speed
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:34am
Dremel and metal cutting disk. Be patient and you can cut it neatly with no damage, then re-braze it when going back together. At least I did that on a 68 Jav.................
It's just a spot unless it's been off before or someone has redone it in the past.
steeters View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 4:26pm

Great looking project.  When I was pulling the engine and parts off of my car (the first time I had done anything like this) I had a hundred little pieces of tape with writing on them so I'd know where everything came/went...even then I still scratch my head at times.  My engine removal pictures don't look nearly as clean as yours.

Keep us posted and the pictures coming!

steve

KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by RWBAMX RWBAMX wrote:

Thanks for the heads up about the fenders I did not know they were like that. Do they have to be brazed when you put them back on? Gordon

The brazing is to keep them from bowing out at the bottom. Kermit's are not brazed and the driver's side is good but the passenger side bows out a little bit. You can probably tack them back into place with a Mig welder if you don't have gas welding equipment.

I've also found brazing where the quarter panels go over the rocker panels and in a couple of places around the tail panel.

BTW, take lots and lots of pictures and detailed noted about the car. You may also want to pick up a parts book since it has a lot of exploded diagrams and lists out pretty much every clip, nut, and washer on the car. I picked up a set of reprinted parts books from Faxon Auto Liturature earlier this year for about $125. You can also get them on CD for less but I've heard mixed reviews about the CD's.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
RWBAMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RWBAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2009 at 8:08pm
I have been keeping every thing tagged and in zip lock bags. I have also taken pictures of parts that could get confusing. I bought a 1966 service manual, but it really does not have as much in it as I thought it would so I will check out the ones from Faxon. My uncle has a 66 also so if I get jammed at any point I can hopefully look at his. Once again, thanks for the feedback it is really appreciated.Cheers! I will post up some more pictures tomorrow.
66 Rogue 360, 4 speed
jmd868s View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmd868s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2009 at 7:43am
I don't know if this will make a difference, but there is a service manual specifically for the 290 equipped American in 1966.  That may be the one you have already but if it isn't there is usually one on E-bay.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
  Share Topic