TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66 Rambler Classic 770 Rear Drum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raaguila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66 Rambler Classic 770 Rear Drum
    Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 10:19am
Hey guys I have the 9 inch Drums. I was wondering if anyone would has or would be willing to upload a picture of their spring set up so I can attempt to see where things go. I’m also having trouble finding the correct hardware kit, it’s possible I may even have the right parts but overtime their sizes have changed. My right rear drum is grinding but it’s due to the adjuster not being on their correctly and it’s missing springs. I’m so close to completion and getting her on the road but that grinding sound is holding me back! All help will be appreciated thanks ! 
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2020 at 12:02pm
I own this same vehicle. I just bought a NOS sping set on ebay. My car is partially disassembled. I'd be happy to take pictures and measurements of the springs. The kits are hard to find though galvins does have the correct kit for $70 bucks a pop.

Forgot to ask.. There are two brake set ups on these years.

The "wagner" set up and the "bendix" set up. The difference is the adjuster employs a small cable for the bendix style and a series of wire links for the wagner style.

Edited by First_Gear - Apr/10/2020 at 12:07pm
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2020 at 11:50pm
Both operate identically, luckily. Bendix vs. Wagner is like Trico vs. Anco, WTF! lol

Here's a tiny pic of one of billd's beautiful brake assemblies. the yellow spring on the leading shoe goes on first.  The thread the pic came from is on the forum somewhere, higher resolution.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2020 at 12:09am
They operate similarly however the springs are NOT interchangeable. That is one of the nicest brake jobs I have ever seen. The paint and detail is even better than it was when it was new.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2020 at 10:27pm
If you can actually figure out which springs you need -- sometimes no small feat -- rockauto.com usually has them, sometimes on clearance. I've been stockpiling. I bought a 1980 Raybestos catalog from ePay; I figured the 60s, 70s AMCs were still current enough for the catalog to be correct, so far so good. I look part numbers up there, then find them on rockauto.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic