TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'66 Rambler American

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '66 Rambler American
    Posted: Aug/10/2014 at 8:46pm
I figured I would share some pictures of my car.  My Great Grandpa bought this car new in December of '65, fast forward to the late '70's and my aunt wrecked the car.  It was parked in my Grandpa's field till July '94 when it was gave to me for a project and my first car.  Fast forward again to today (20 years now...wow) and through listening to family members or friend's, I've never enjoyed the car and have always let them influence how and what I should do with the car.  Well after 20 years of that, moving it from one storage location to another, and just letting it set....I have finally decided it's mine and I'm building it my way.  I'm a husband and a father of 3 beautiful little girls, so I have a tight budget (I do a lot of buy, sell, trade to get stuff as close to free as I can).  Previous body work was done poorly and eventually will need redone but for now I'm focusing on the suspension and drive train.  After all a nice tire and wheel combo with the right stance will make most cars look pretty good.  

crossramrambler View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossramrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 3:40am
What was or is going to power it? Glad it stayed in the family all these years.....Jim
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 5:47pm
Welcome - you know, those little girls are going to grow up to be car girls. Be warned...and make extra sets of Rambler keys.
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 11:14pm
This car was a 199 six and automatic.  To make a long story short (please don't be mad) 350 c**** with 200R4 trany.  The long story if you want to read it is, November 2008 we bought a '66 Plymouth Belvedere which doomed the Rambler longer.  I sold my parts car and 360, 904 set up because my first daughter was on the way.  We drove the wheels off the Belvedere, then my second daughter was born, and I decided I wanted to build a Rat Rod.  I had been collecting and trading parts for it the Rat Rod and we were still driving the Belvedere till last fall....We bought a house and moved, sold our Belvedere, and found out we were having baby number 3, another girl.  Not having a lot of money to spend on a car right now and after having a car to drive the past 5 years, the girls and I really miss it. I brought the Rambler home and decided this was our new "Hot Rod" (as my girls would say) and I'm using the parts I had been gathering for the Rat Rod project.  I bought a truck with a GM create engine, junked and sold parts off the truck ended up with a free engine, my cousin gave me the 200R4 trany that he removed and was working good, and for the rear end I bought a '92 Ranger cut out the rear end and junked the truck again ending up with it for free.  Again for the mean time not going to worry about paint, going to make it run and drive.  I like driving them not showing them, in the 5 summers we drove the Belvedere we put just over 15,000 miles on it.  Most cars like these are lucky to see 500 miles a year.  
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 11:20pm
Thanks, and yes the girls love the "Hot Rod" as they say.  My oldest is 6 and always wants to help...

6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 4:23pm
I think it is a great project and the time with your girls is more important than what engine is under the hood. Enjoy your family and your car!
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
Midnight Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midnight Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 5:34pm
Let me guess...your aunt wrecked the front and you salvaged repair parts from a '67?
(was looking at the headlight bezel)

Good luck with the project!

'66 American 440 Convertible 290/M-40/AMC 20 3.15/PS/PB
'04 Jeep Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition 4.0 5sp
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 6:44pm
Thanks Tom. I don't know how I would pay for it but I hope when they are older they all want there own. But if they don't I know they will have a soft spot and respect for the older cars.
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 6:50pm
You are correct Mark, she crossed the center line off a corner and run the front drivers side into a steep bank. When we brought the car home the front was pushed over 6 to 8 inches. It still needs to see a frame machine, we tied it down to a beem and did the best we could at home but things are still off a little. When Grandpa gave me the car it also came with a '69 2 door post parts car(which is long gone now).
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2014 at 9:47pm
I wanted to do some work on the car and didn't know exactly where to start...but decided to start with some much needed rust repair.  

The rear foot and half or so of the sub frames are shot...so you start cutting till you find solid metal and start building back.  I love the look of a wide tire on these little cars, but didn't want to get crazy with a full tub, so I'm currently in the process of moving the leaf springs and sub frames in. 

and what a better time to add some frame connectors...

From the mock ups I've done so far, it looks like with the new leaf springs and moving them in, I will only need a small amount of trimming and no tubing.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic