TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66 Driveshaft Help Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Down Under Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66 Driveshaft Help Please
    Posted: Mar/26/2020 at 6:10pm
We have a 1966 Rambler Classic and it is running original 287 with auto and torque tube rear end. We are having issues with the universal(s) at the trans. does anyone have access to parts. Galvins says he can manufacture a replacement however he is 4-6 monthsfrom being ready. Any and all help would be appreciated, we are very keen to keep as original rather than changing to other types of running gear. Thanx, Roger.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 12:57pm
The universal is a double cardan CV joint. The part that eventually fails is a little spring and ball mechanism between the shaft and center section that keeps the joint from "flopping" between the two cross joints. It looks like two standard universal joints back to back, and that's exactly what it is. Without the ball and spring mechanism in the center the joints don't stay aligned and cause a bad vibration. Lincoln is the only other manufacturer who used a similar joint, and that was in the early sixties and only for 3-4 years -- like Rambler (only used 63-66 in V-8 torque tubes). Prior to 63 Ramblers used a single universal joint behind the V-8 (all sixes have just one joint).

There isn't enough info in the TSM to recreate that centering mechanism. If yours is worn (they last 40-50 years thanks to being fully enclosed) you have few choices. Since they have lasted so long you can't find a repair kit. Blaser may have one, but I doubt it. I think Blaser is the one working to recreate it, but partner with Galvin's and one or two other AMC vendors so they can make enough to spread costs so it can be reasonably priced. I could be wrong on that -- they could be working independently or the other way around.

Your other option is to eliminate the CV joint. That would mean finding a U-joint base and lengthening the tubular potion of the driveshaft. The end on the shaft can be modified to work, but the shaft still needs lengthening. There are no issues by doing this, the older Rambler V-8 models only used a single joint. The CV joint was used to make power application a bit smoother, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Frank Swygert
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 4:29pm
Frank, I,ve only had one of these apart so don't be too hard.
The cardan joint is just 2 universals and they can be rebuilt with new (crosses, bearings and keepers).
The centering bearing can be replaced - this was the big vibration issue I came across.
The spring/ball mechanism, if it ain't broke, leave it. If the spring is broken, you can get one out of the hardware store.
Parts were here:
It was a XXich of a job laying in the driveway.
Down Under Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Down Under Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 3:46am
Unfortunately when we took the driveshaft/universal out the spring bush part is completely missing. Not sure what to do from here. Will try to find parts if not will look at changing drive shaft.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 7:21am
Nashparts no longer has the centering mechanism available. If it's gone you have a problem! I think it gets ground up sometimes when it starts to fail. I've only had one apart, and the centering bits were in too bad a shape to even see how it was supposed to work! The yoke of the V-8 M-8/M-10 trans is supposedly the same as an AMC T-10, if that helps. It's different from the later M-11/12.
Frank Swygert
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 8:33am
Don't overthink it.

Once you get it taken apart, what needs to be replaced should be plain to see.

I betcha anything, all it is, is the u-joints simply need to be replaced.

Don't worry, the u-joints are a common size.

You will need to find a good AMC mechanic to work on your car, because the double u-joint set up is more difficult than a single u-joint job. This is important because if the person does not like the car, very likely they won't do good work.

Maybe contact your nearest AMC Club to find a good mechanic.

IF there are any parts that need to be replaced, there are at least two junkyards in my area that have the parts:

1) John's Auto Salvage in Seguin Tx (see website on Internet)

2) CTC Auto Ranch in Denton Tx (see website on Internet)

...I think my local Pick and Pull has two intermediate sized mid sixties Ramblers in the 'Classic yard' right now...

443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2020 at 8:58am
Oh yeah, you'll probably wanna put in a new rear tailshaft seal in the trans while you're at it.

Don't worry that's not an oddball part either -fairly common size, you just need to do the work and get the job done. (the rear seal should be same as Ford Cruise-O-Matic)

Pretty sure the u-joints are 1310 inside c-clip type like this. You'll need to buy two:

Take yours out first, then measure, then buy 'em to make sure you get the right parts?
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Down Under Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Down Under Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2020 at 3:56am
Wow that is great help, thanx I will try the companies you have suggested. As you say the universals them selves are easy to get, it is the little bits. There is a small spring, a seal a retainer and a bush that go inside the double universal, we are mising these 4 little parts. I am not sure how to get a picture of them onto this forum.
little unc 48 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote little unc 48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2020 at 7:27am
some of the '72-87 K-5 GM Blazers used double u-joints on the front drive shafts.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 6:05am
It's possible that  the center section from another vehicle will work, but I doubt without changing the length. You can change it a little without affecting shaft length enough, shorter by 1/4", I wouldn't go that much longer... maybe 1/8"...

The joints themselves usually DO NOT wear out due to being inside the tube. I've seldom seen a worn joint in a torque tube car, have pulled several six cylinder versions out with 100K or more on them and the joints are still tight. That centering device is under a lot more stress, and the bushings and spring "wear" as much with age as anything else. Once the spring weakens enough for the center to flop just a little the bushings go fast. I don't know how the Blazer double Cardan CV joint works to keep it from flopping, only that it's different from the early 60s AMC/Lincoln joint.

I looked up  the specs on the two u-joints. K5 uses a Moog 369, Classic/Ambo a Moogh 515. Almost an inch difference in width of joints! If you could find a double-Cardan tyep joint that use the same size U-joint it wouldn't be hard for a driveshaft shop to change the end. Needs to be the same size so it will fit the transmission yoke. If it's the same size caps AND same length it would be really easy to change out. You can get conversion u-joints that have difference diameter caps, but they still have the same width cross. That might not help...  Might be good to take it to a driveshaft shop and see what they can find.

Edited by farna - Apr/06/2020 at 6:17am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic