TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'66 American Rear Leaf Spring Relocation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2016 at 6:27am
I like to use rear sliders instead of shackles for something like this. The sliders are sturdier than shackles. Just weld (or even bolt) a piece of rectangular tubing the height of the stock rail to the inside and mount the slider on top.

Most people move the spring in for wider tires. Mounting the shock to the outside negates some of that, but looks like you could still get a bit wider tire than the stock location. As long as it's built/welded sturdy I see nothing wrong with the offset shackle, but I'd use sliders as described above instead.

You did a great job, looks really good, even with the angles. I wouldn't worry about rounding any corners -- it's obviously not going to look factory no matter what.
Frank Swygert
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2016 at 11:12pm
Would that help with Traction At all Farna? My 66 with the Massive 215/70-15 out back are up in smoke no mater what I do. I'm Parts Gathering right now to do an 8.8 at the Same time I'll probably move the springs in board to get sufficient tire on the ground. just dont want to do it twice know what I mean, if i never slip another tire it will be fine by me as long as its moving me forward.   
1966 Rampar American
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2016 at 6:12am
The sliders help handling more than anything. There's only so much you can do to help traction. Slide-A-Links are good, or traditional traction bars or ladder bars with floater housings on the springs (so the axle won't twist the leaf spring, for those who don't know what I mean). Even then with enough power you overcome the tires. Street slicks? You can overcome those too... even real drag slicks...

You need to optimize your suspension for best traction, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to do that! Maybe some of the long-time drag racers will chime in...
Frank Swygert
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2016 at 7:52am
Rampar, it almost sounds like you need to 4 link your car? I relocated the leaf springs because my car is just a street car, but I wanted a wider tire under it and it seemed like the way to go on my budget.
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2016 at 8:40pm
Well the Car Had a 8.25 Dodge dart Rear end 3.23 posi when I got it so thats whats in there now... well the posi has decided to stop working.... problem one. Not sure if its even installed correctly pinion angle wise... problem two. 215/70-15 Tire Size problem three... And Finally it Has a dodge motor in it.... well thats not really a problem to me but 360ci .030 over 9.Something-1 compression, Air Gap intake, Ported Heads, 750 CFM Demon, Headers, .513" Lift Cam, 727 Torqueflite, 2500 Stall, Stage 2 Shift Kit. All Adds up to 400ish horses which when added to Above "problems" amplifies things... 
1966 Rampar American
Gigantor64 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigantor64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 2:36am
Hi I own a 64 Rambler American 220 Wagon. an Im moving my leaf springs in too. 
in the rear how far inward did you mount the frame you made from where the original frame was? also what is the hole size for the rubber leaf mounts. Oh yeah, While I'm at it. your front mount where you brought the shackle you made inward. do you have any other pictures like of the side and how you connected the frame rails. tks a lot this will help a lot and save me some hair.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigantor64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 2:38am
Its 3:30 AM, and I just got home from work.
For got to tell you my name. 
I'm Pete. tks again 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 8:47am
To just gain a couple inches on each side weld up a piece of rectangular tubing the size of the original rear sill ("frame") and weld it to the inside of the sills, with some overlap front and rear. Just remember it's 18 gauge steel, so not too much heat when welding. MIG or TIG welding is best.
Frank Swygert
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigantor64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 7:43pm
tks im mig welding on this project. But the front mount is that also rectangular steel? what size is that?
tks Pete
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 9:05pm
farna,
 im not familiar with the sliders you mentioned. do you have a picture of this set up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic