TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'66 American front cross member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '66 American front cross member
    Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 9:29pm
This probably a stupid question, but is the front cross member adjustable? Meaning front to back, where it bolts onto the car. My car was wrecked years ago and it finally made it to the frame machine last fall, but now after that the drivers wheel is back and rubs the firewall in a hard turn and the passengers side is forward. Center of wheel to center of wheel is off 1.5 inches from one side of the car to the other. And it is possible that I have a bent control arm or something is installed wrong (I had it apart 23 years ago when I was 15...), but nothing rubbed before it went to the frame machine. And sorry error on my end I didn't measure it before it went to the frame machine.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2017 at 10:32pm
Anything that bolts on can be made adjustable,   you just enlarge the mounting holes.
But that doesn't mean you should do it.

I'd get it up in the air, big jack stands, or lift, and see just exactly what's wrong, not guess at it.
Look and measure.  If you have a TSM,  it has the important measurements you'll need to check chassis alignment.

I'd kind of wonder just what they did with that frame machine.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 12:33am
sound like something is out the crossmember is no adjustable I would give thing a good look over bent control arm bolt or control arm. bent strut rods or brackets look at the floor board for sign of damage or frame rails good luck on he project
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 6:42am
Frame guy didn't do it right. If you have a TSM there are "frame" dimensions at the end of the first body section. 66-69 should be the same. Get one and start checking the measurements. Not sure if the frame guys didn't have the measurements or just pulled as much as they thought they could without causing more damage. 1.5" out might just be more than can be corrected. You might need to look for another body, I hate to say...
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 7:36am
My Gremlin was wrecked, and A friend of mine and I measured it.  the body wasnt bent at all.   the upper control arm was bent.  couldnt see it until I pulled it off.....................
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 7:42am
Thank you guys, pretty much the answers that I expected. The front was off and the sheet metal wasn't fitting correctly, nothing else seemed off. So as much my fault as anyone's, just had them pull it so things would hang on there straight again, did some X measurements and thought we were good. I'll get the TSM information and figure out what needs to be done. 1.5" out sounds bad, but is probably more like .75" off because one is forward and one is back...floors and frame rails look good from the springs towers back, the damage appeared to be in front of that.
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 7:45am
Farna, my Great grandpa bought this car new and I've been moving it from one place to another since 1994 I can't give up on it now.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 8:30am
Just because the upper rails are close enough so you can hang the fenders and not have a problem doesn't mean the bottom of the chassis is straight, as you're finding out.

Plus suspension members might be bent,  along with the unibody "frame ".

Has the front end been aligned ?   Can you get a 4 wheel alignment ?   

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 9:11am
Mitch, if you find that some of your suspension parts are bad, let me know. I have an extra set of good upper A arms and miscellaneous miscellaneous other suspension stuff if you need them. You can have them just for shipping costs.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2017 at 8:29pm
Thanks Matthew, hope I get to it soon. And I haven't had it to the alignment shop yet. Wanting to put power steering on and get the front end closer than it is before I take in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic