TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'66 Ambassador Horn Ring Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '66 Ambassador Horn Ring Questions
    Posted: Sep/13/2010 at 4:09am
We just acquired a sweet '66 Ambassador 990 sedan for my 16 year old's first car.  I just got the overdrive sorted out, and now I have some questions on the horn.

It doesn't have the horn ring, and I see a couple on ebay, but don't know what else I may need to make them work.  If we ground the little spring loaded push-pin (at about 11:00 in the picture) the horn honks, but are there some springs or screws or anything that goes in there, or if we just get the horn ring and install it, are we good to go? 

Thanks!

SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2010 at 8:56pm
I have a 65, but they are pretty much alike.  Do you have a Technical Service Manual?  It will help on lots of stuff.
You should have a big spring that fits into the inner cup.  It's about 1.5 inches in diameter and about 1.5 inches tall when not compressed.

Here is the diagram of the wheel assembly from my TSM. The spring I am talking about isn't labeled - it's shown right before the horn blowing assembly. I hope this helps.

bigrhett View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 12:18am
We just bought this car last week, so I haven't had a chance to find manuals etc...  Do you have a recommendation on where to find the TSM at a good price?

And, thanks a ton for that diagram.  Based on that, it appears that the trim ring on ebay has all the other parts except for the spring (which I'm sure I can figure something out for that)
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 12:24am
I have a two TSMs - one is an original one I picked up years ago at the Pomona swap meet - the other is a repro I got just his last year off ebay.  They show up there a lot.  The original one has slightly more clear diagrams, I think.  The prices are about the same - I think an original runs around $45.00 now and a repro is about $10.00 less - but a quick search on ebay will show you what they're going for right now, too.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 6:34am

It looks like you have everything on the steering column side that you need.   You need to find the spring ( have several if ou need one) and get a horn ring which will fit your steering wheel.  AMC made the horn rings mechanically and electrically interchangeable for many years but the center hub logos vary according to the model of car.  You of course optimally would need the  Ambassador logo.  You'll need to find a horn riing with the parts attached to it as shown to the right of the spring on the SE Edmonds illustration above.

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
Rondo83 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rondo83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 9:27am
I have everything you need on my parts car. The horn rim isn't show quality but does have the Ambassador logo. Drop me an email if interested.

Thanks and good luck with your project!
1980 Spirit DL
SEdmonds View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEdmonds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 11:19am
There ya go, Bigrhett - you'll have that Ambo back together just fine.

My Ambo was my first car at 16 as well...and now it's my midlife crisis car too. LOL.  Good luck with it and may it take as good care of your child as mine did of me.

bigrhett View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 12:17pm
Thanks for the help!  I ended up grabbing a horn ring off ebay last night that looks like it has the parts we need with the Ambassador logo, and I just bought a TSM today.

We're just starting down the path with this project, so I'm sure we'll be back on here a ton for questions Smile

bigrhett View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrhett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

It looks like you have everything on the steering column side that you need.   You need to find the spring ( have several if ou need one) and get a horn ring which will fit your steering wheel.  AMC made the horn rings mechanically and electrically interchangeable for many years but the center hub logos vary according to the model of car.  You of course optimally would need the  Ambassador logo.  You'll need to find a horn riing with the parts attached to it as shown to the right of the spring on the SE Edmonds illustration above.

I think I have found the right ring with the logo, and I would appreciate a spring if you can spare one.  How much do you need?

Thanks,
Rhett
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2010 at 5:32pm

Just PM (personal mail me)  with your address and I'll send you one.

Joe

Happiness is making something out of nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic